Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been debating on puttin a 3stage head on my z6 block for a while and wondering.....if i can get the correct ecu (only obd2 right?) how would i go about tuning it?......the school i go 2 in va beach has a dyno and uses the aem ems for tuning purposes.....could i use the ems 2 set ignition/cam timing, a/f ratios and vtec points during all 3 stages(12 valve mode till 2.5k...16 valve mode till 4.5-5k and vtec from 4.5-5k and up?{def setting fuel maps to make the most power with these x-over points}) on an obd2 ecu?.....also.....will the z6 timing belt work?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
the ems is a serius program, ive never used it but im sure you could give AEM a call and just ask them if there is any way to have 3 different cam lobe tuning.

if you can really get the EMS for free or cheap WOW lol...

well the stock d15b timing belt is 103 teeth off a US d15z1(civic VX)

the d15b is a z6 head so I think you should be fine using the stock z6 belt.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, my school uses it to dyno tune and show us how to use it :D.....im hoping i can tune the 3stage head with it being its obd2

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yea the obd2 code has yet to be hacked but people are working on it. honestly I would just call AEM and see whats up, if you cant tune it you could always just use crome or AEM and just run it in 16valve mode permenantly and just tune the lower RPM section of the "middle" cam lobes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i don't think you'll run the engine any good w/out the JDM P2J ECU (the ecu from 3stage vtec D15B, 96-00 civic VTi). I'm not sure if your state will let you pass even though it's a OBD2 ECU since it's a JDM ECU.
if you went for the normal P2P (96-00 D16y8 ECU, also OBD2) then you won't run the 3stage on the vtec and it would be pretty messed up unless you tune it, but then it'll just be a normal d16y8 head.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
z6 head. like said wire the lower vtec solenoid to be always on then run the p2p ecu, it will run pretty porly, best way to go after you wire the first solenoid to be locked would a a p08 or a p28 with a p08 map on the cihip.

thats the way the car would run best.

the other option is p2j ecu but then zero tuning is possible.

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
What about a p72 ecu with IAB secondaries(the butterflies in the intake manifold) enabled at the point it switches to 16-valve mode from 12-valve mode? Then, use the vtec function to set your high cam lobe activation.

You'd need to convert to obd1(which you should do anyway:) ) if you aren't already. You'd also need to run a wire from the computer iab activation output to your first stage of vtec's solenoid. Then tune away.

Once you set it up this way, tune afr's and be conservative on the timing. The y8-style heads(with quench pads) don't require all the timing advance that the open chamber heads require. Sohcmshue( I think is his name) has been on the forefront of finding the timing advance that these heads like, so maybe ask him for a good base setting. Then tune from there.

Have a good time!
-josh-

BTW, if you need a p72, I've got one with your name on it for 195 shipped:TU: It's chipped/zif socketted, and ready to rock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts