Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about before. Ive searched and nobody hasnt encountered the same problem I think.
Anyway 2 days ago my JDM D15 Del Sol temperature passed the halfway mark and it was surly going to the H mark.

Luckily I arrived home just in time. I checked the radiator, hoses and everywhere for leaks. I didnt find anything. No leaks at all and the radiator was full. I started the car and waited for it to heat up. The fan didnt kick in so I got a thermostat switch and put it on. The fan still didnt start so I went around the block with the fan jumped and it still began to overheat. While I was driving I had to turn on the heat so that will lower the temp which it did instantly.

The radiator and cooling system was flushed a month ago and this just happened to start. I have playing around for at least a few hours to see if it was an electrical fault but the fuses and relays are fine. I don't have a clue what to do next:TD:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Test the fuse and relay for the rad fan circuit.
Checked everything. Everything is OK and checked even more than twice.
I bought another thermostat and put it in and burped the system. At first everything was OK and drove the car hard with AC on then the same problems happened again after an hour.

Standstill once again.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
You may want to get a laser thermometer and check several spots across the rad core, when you did the flush some crud may have broke loose and is clogging the tubes in the rad cutting down on the cooling area of the rad.

Also make sure your fan shroud is sealed to the rad

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,234 Posts
whats the condition of the radiator fins ?

do a coolant system pressure test and check the rad cap while your at it ,
if you are over heating with the fan running constant ,you have a possible blown head gasket ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fins look OK. Im thinking about getting another radiator because it may be clogged up. I had a tiny leak 3 months ago and it was fixed and it and it worked perfectly until 4 days ago. Maybe some crap got caught up inside now.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
The problem I have with putting the blame on the radiator is how long it takes to overheat. You said after an hour it started overheating; that's a long time for a clogged radiator to start showing symptoms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem I have with putting the blame on the radiator is how long it takes to overheat. You said after an hour it started overheating; that's a long time for a clogged radiator to start showing symptoms.
When I put in the new thermostat the car drove fine for an hour all morning. I left if and said the problem was solved because it ran fine. I even turned on the AC the whole time. When I took it for a drive 2 hours later it heated up again. I checked for leaks and all but I was back to square one.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Start the car, rev and hold it at 3k rpm for 2mins.
Then let it idle.
Check the temp gauge and watch it. As ot get above the half way ot should kit on the fan. If the fan does not come on.

Then buy a fan switch. Or better yet get a voltmemeter and test to see if the fan switch grounds out.
If it does, check wiring.
If it doesnt then replace switch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Start the car, rev and hold it at 3k rpm for 2mins.
Then let it idle.
Check the temp gauge and watch it. As ot get above the half way ot should kit on the fan. If the fan does not come on.

Then buy a fan switch. Or better yet get a voltmemeter and test to see if the fan switch grounds out.
If it does, check wiring.
If it doesnt then replace switch
I've already done everything said. Its strange that it still doesn't work. I installed a new fan switch yesterday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts