Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(First off let me note that I know this is not a B-Series forum, but I trust you guys to give me positive insight and feedback.)

I present to you an idea me and my buddies have nicknamed the "NoTec"

Mildly built LS head mounted to a stock JDM B16A block.

Static Compression Ratio: 9.99:1
Displacement: 1595.37
Rod / Stroke Ratio: 1.73
Piston-to-Deck Height: 0.022

As per: http://zealautowerks.com/

Speculate!

What would even have to be done for this motor to run properly?
We have a JDM B16A block laying around, and several USDM B18A/B heads, one of them is a D-H racing head, port and polished with a three angle valve job and minor valvetrain work.

Aside from all the prejudice I'm sure that I will encounter with this thread, I think we could seriously produce an interesting/amusing engine. Something like a DOHC ZC of the B-Series.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I did not start this thread so people could come flame me and tell me how bad of an idea they think that this is, and I don't need people to come and be all "save your money man, do it right the first time."

The only reason that this build was even considered, was because it would literally cost me and my buddies about 5$ to complete, and put in a CRX shell that we've had sitting around dormant for a while.

·
Registered
624 Posts
it's gonna work but is gona produce less than a stock b16 because non vtec head don't flow really well even with tons of cash on them

·
Registered
74 Posts
itd be cool to try but i have a question and dont know how to post besides this way i have a zc engine with a b18a fit or not

·
Registered
344 Posts
definitly different! with the bump in compression it may be just like a b18b but with better gas mileage but can you spin the b18 head high enough to take advantage of the b16's high reving block?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
id love to have it.

B16 block, LS Head, GSR Tranny. Sounds like TONS OF FUN to DD.

Id throw in some small regrind cams to shift the powerband where it needs to be with that RS ratio and have 10 tons of fun.

Id think it would be capable of GREAT mpgs too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, worst idea ever.

Sell the b16 shortblock. then buy an ls shortblock and have money left over. 10X more fun to drive and negligible deference in mpg.

·
sub-sponsor
5,175 Posts
Lol so when I was in fl saw this kid who had it done in a crx to... it was a fail. Motor was slow, really slow.

The only thing that makes the ls is the tq. The head dosent flow as good as the vtec heads nor dose it rev out enough to take advantage of the b16 r/s ratio.

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
Lol so when I was in fl saw this kid who had it done in a crx to... it was a fail. Motor was slow, really slow.

The only thing that makes the ls is the tq. The head dosent flow as good as the vtec heads nor dose it rev out enough to take advantage of the b16 r/s ratio.
well damn... i guess that answers that then. im starting to think that ls/vtec would do me good for when i boost. still debating this though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only reason that this build was even considered, was because it would literally cost me and my buddies about 5$ to complete, and put in a CRX shell that we've had sitting around dormant for a while.
hell for $5 I will do it just to have something to do :blue:

·
Registered
226 Posts
....honda did this umm...what 22 years ago. What was that called, oh yeah A ZC. Even ZC pistons are domed like B16's.

Good job though... I thought about this once or twice myself. How does it run and how did you block the B16's oil passage for vtec up? JB Weld?

·
Registered
349 Posts
While the zc and b16 may be similar in displacement, they are VERY different dimensionally. Putting on a head that cant breathe or even rev freely to the stock b16's rev limit is completely and udderly pointless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you will have to block off the oil passage. it has been done before. there was a guy in phx, az that did. it but he had a fully ported head with some huge cams that hardly idled with a 150shot dp nitrous. it could run with stock 03-04 z06vets. but off bottle it wasnt that fast my camed b17crx would pull it fairly hard. but my rex ran a best of [email protected] on slicks with a 1.69 60'time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well whatever the case may be, we're going to start putting the engine together this weekend.

We're really not sure what we need to do though.

I guess block the oil passage and use the LS head gasket?

As for all the people telling me that it can't rev that high, they obviously didn't read the OP. The head has been overhauled, port and polished, 3 angle valve job, and has minor valvetrain upgrades. The cam will have to be put off for a little while, once we see if this is even worth a shit or not.

Here goes nothing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts