Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

does anyone know what are the emission sensors used by the D15B 3 stage VTEC engine (JDM engine)

im doing a swap in my OBD-0 crx and I need to know what the sensors that engine uses, since I will use a y8 engine harness. and that harness doesn't bring all the connections for the sensors that the D15B 3stage uses

I have read that the D15B 3 stage. uses EVAP but I don't know if it has the same connections in the United States as in Japan

I have no problems with the emission laws, I just need to know what the sensors are necessary for the engine to work properly

will be all the sensors in the photo or just some

for example my D15B 3 stage does not bring that piece held in the hand

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

neither has this piece marked in red circle

I don't know if it is necessary to use the fuel pressure sensor or not

I don't know if it is necessary to use all the EVAP sensors or not

example: someone who tells me, "for the correct operation of the d15b 3 stage vtec, you need the egr, the egr lift sensor & none of the evap sensors", or something like that

please someone help me...thanks

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
938 Posts
find a p2j-j11 ecu meant for a manual transmission ..

convert to an obd1 ecu rig it for 3stage and tune .

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
938 Posts

or convert to an obd1 ecu rig it for 3stage and tune .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

or convert to an obd1 ecu rig it for 3stage and tune .
aahhh okay.... but I don't want it for races ... I just need it for daily use, that's why I need to know what sensors I'm missing to complete the harness

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
938 Posts
aahhh okay.... but I don't want it for races ... I just need it for daily use, that's why I need to know what sensors I'm missing to complete the harness
my suggestion was just to get it running ...

most important wires added will be for the egr valve and vtec solenoid.

you are going to have to find a wiring diagram for the car the d15b3stg came in and ecu pinout for the obd2 ecu ..so you can see for yourself what it wants to see..
if you can get even find an ecu..

maybe should have asked you if this was 96-98 or 99-00 y8 harness ..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my suggestion was just to get it running ...

most important wires added will be for the egr valve and vtec solenoid.

you are going to have to find a wiring diagram for the car the d15b3stg came in and ecu pinout for the obd2 ecu ..so you can see for yourself what it wants to see..
if you can get even find an ecu..

maybe should have asked you if this was 96-98 or 99-00 y8 harness ..
96-98 engine harness

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX
16 Posts
There's a Polish manual for the 6G Civic that covers the 3-stage VTEC D15B, also known as the D15Z7. I've put ~100k miles on one in my CRX - it's a fun little engine. Mine's currently out for a cleaning and rebuild (rings, bearings, seals). It pulls similar to a 'Z6, a little less torque, but doesn't sound like it's going to fly apart near redline. The cam feels like it could make good power for another 500-1000 RPM if the rev limiter wasn't in the way. I've hit low 50's MPG highway with a DX transmission by babying it, but nothing crazy like tailgating semis or engine-off coasting.
For my build I got a CVT model from the engine lottery, which meant it had the wrong IACV on the throttle body, and the manifold air passage for the right style was missing. I stubbornly drilled the air passage - one hole from the throttle body face, one from the IACV face. Drilled and tapped the remaining hole for the IACV, then bolted on a 'Y8 valve. Don't even try it without a drill press and lots of precision eyeballing. From there I used a 'Z6 throttle body with an FITV block-off plate. The 'Y8 throttle body doesn't have an EVAP port and an 'A6 TB has the remote MAP sensor... I think there was some other issue with the 'A6 but I don't remember.
You might be able to get away with using a D16Y5 intake manifold to skip all that, though I don't know if the EGR valve is compatible as they started going to the black plastic all-in-one EGR valves.
As for the EGR, there's a solenoid valve on the firewall (one power or ground wire I forget which, and one control signal wire) and a lift sensor on top of the valve itself (one power wire from the sensor power bus, one ground from the sensor ground bus, and one signal wire). The solenoid isn't the typical on/off type but more like the IACV in that the ECU varies its open-ness to supply different amounts of vacuum to the EGR valve. I ordered the proper part through a Japanese importer - not cheap. Older US Accords have a similar part, though the vacuum ports have restrictors in them that are a different size than the D15B's - might still work.
There's no EVAP solenoid as you pointed out above. Just use your stock CRX canister, but bypass the solenoid valve on the firewall. You'll have a vac line from the back of the manifold straight to the control port on the canister, the usual connection to the gas tank and the vent line to the top of the throttle body.
The D15B has a crankshaft sensor similar to the ones in the distributor. The sensor bolts to the oil pump while the pointed reluctance wheel is part of the timing belt sprocket. 3 wires at the harness connector, though only two at the sensor itself so it's probably sensor +/- and RF shield.
It has a knock sensor like the 'Y8.
It has a single wire O2 sensor strangely enough. If you're using the stock exhaust manifold, try to get the heat shields in there if possible. Not to keep the engine bay cool, but to keep the manifold and sensor warm in cold weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts