Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bid on a 94 "JDM" 1.5L/1.6L Sohc Vtec on ebay, guy says its basically D16Z6. What do u guys think of it? I was gonna drop into my 92 cx hatch. Im kinda a newbie to SOHC i just picked up this car i had a 2000 GSR before. Just wondering if i can get some good power out of this thing N/A or boosted? Let me know

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hondaeg2 said:
I just bid on a 94 "JDM" 1.5L/1.6L Sohc Vtec on ebay, guy says its basically D16Z6. What do u guys think of it? I was gonna drop into my 92 cx hatch. Im kinda a newbie to SOHC i just picked up this car i had a 2000 GSR before. Just wondering if i can get some good power out of this thing N/A or boosted? Let me know
hi,i have been running the d15b jdm vtec from hmotors for 6 months now and it is way better than the z6 i had in there,42 mpg highway,and at least as fast,if not faster,btw get an si/ex trans,thats what im running and i love it!and ive heard they love boost(9.2 to 1 CR) i think.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hmm ideas...i want one damit

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What the power that the D15B produced, I thought that those trannies were all the same.

·
Registered
300 Posts
how much would u guys recommend for boost with stock internal on this motor. Ive seen people say these motors are not a good motor to boost because of the internals being "unique". I want to boost mine but ive been told not to without internal work. Not meaning to thread jack but i wanna see wut u guys have to say. Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
on a stock honda motor with vtec, i wouldn't think anything above 7 is smart, maybe more if it's tuned properly, BTW i love my new D15B it has a DX trans unfortunaly but it's still pretty gutsy.

·
Registered
Civic, crv, titan
1,505 Posts
quick question for you OBD0 guys

what ecu are you using with the d15b ?

I had one in a crx with the pm6 and used the VAFC for vtec and I was very dissapointed in the performance. it was in a 91 si

then i had a z6 in the crx dx used a pm6 and the msd rpm boxes for vtec and it was great.......

I dunno i just dont get it, maybe the vafc wasnt properly set up?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Bottom line:

d15b is great for "normal" boosting applications up to ~250 whp (same as a z6)

d15b is not great for special boost applications... like 400 whp because upgrading the pistons will be expensive as hell since they'll need to be custom forged.

p28 is fine for d15b, but p28 with p08 maps (chipped) or just a p08 is better

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
I ran 10-12psi daily on my "nearly" stock D15B. In full stock form at 10 psi I eventualy blew a HG. After installing ARP studs and athicker cometic headgasket I ran it hard every day for 35k miles. At 10 psi it made 190whp on a hot humid summer day in FL.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
if u put a z6 in a 88-91, just get the conversion harness obd-0 - obd-1, vafc's and msd rpm boxes don't control the oil pressure which helps accuate vtec. and run a p28 ecu, thats the only way its going to run right

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did u know that on vtec the the ignition time gets more advanced, ask urself can the vafc do ignition advance for vtec

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
exactly save ur self the extra hassle and get those extra parts, u can get a harness and a ecu for 175 shipped i bet, other wise we'll see u in a month , wondering why ur car runs crappy when vtec is supposed to kick in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts