Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

There's a million threads here on the JRSC unit.. but I am still confused as to which chassis require tapping the shock tower out. Is this ONLY applicable for EKs? Or will EGs need to tap the shock tower out too -- what about del sols?

Supercharger looks like the 3 rib m45(which kit is this?) version. motor in the del sol is a d16y8.

Is the 3 rib the Y8 kit?

Thanks,
d

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
3 rib is the y8 kit.
dont know about the shock tower, maybe it was for putting the 4 rib on a y8??

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 rib is the y8 kit.
dont know about the shock tower, maybe it was for putting the 4 rib on a y8??
Thanks. That confirms what I thought about the y8. Though I saw some conflicting information.

Can someone confirm the 4 rib pulley is what causes shock tower contact? Someone also mentioned the supercharger itself also being offset from the manifold?

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Thanks. That confirms what I thought about the y8. Though I saw some conflicting information.

Can someone confirm the 4 rib pulley is what causes shock tower contact? Someone also mentioned the supercharger itself also being offset from the manifold?

Yes its a different pulley and manifold. The belt runs closer to the engine on a y8 kit due to the shock tower protruding into the engine bay more. The y8 kit also came with a alternator bracket and crank pulley to match the offset.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That JRSC is for sale up near chicago/NWI isn't it?? I almost bought it a few months back from the guy off Craigslist!! Seemed like a pretty good deal.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Looks like a Y7/8 kit which means you'd need the lower alternator bracket and the JRSC crank pulley.

Otherwise, you'll need a different blower pulley if you plan on using your OEM crank pulley.

You'll need to mock it up to see how tight it is between the pulley and shock tower. Read page 9, step 51

http://www.supercharger.com/graphics/products/instructions/989-200.pdf

" It is rare that we see this necessary, but, in this mass production world with cars being built in every country, we have seen it happen"

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That JRSC is for sale up near chicago/NWI isn't it?? I almost bought it a few months back from the guy off Craigslist!! Seemed like a pretty good deal.

shhhhhhhhh! ;)

Looks like a Y7/8 kit which means you'd need the lower alternator bracket and the JRSC crank pulley.

Otherwise, you'll need a different blower pulley if you plan on using your OEM crank pulley.

You'll need to mock it up to see how tight it is between the pulley and shock tower. Read page 9, step 51

http://www.supercharger.com/graphics/products/instructions/989-200.pdf

" It is rare that we see this necessary, but, in this mass production world with cars being built in every country, we have seen it happen"
Did you ever reproduce that JRSC pulley or just a Honda OEM-dimensioned one with a different diameter? or just the snout pulleys?

Basically, do I have any other choice but to order the JRSC crank pulley from Moss for this 3 rib kit?

On a less-important side-note:

IIRC In the past you recommended not going with anything smaller than a 3.4 or 3.8 snout pulley on a non-intercooled setup... but it looks like someone made 203whp one 9.5 psi with a bone stock unit.. further, when I run the FTLracing.com calculator. It says a 3" pulley will produce 11 lbs of boost and only spin the unit 14,630.. which is only 130rpm over the manufacturer's spec. Think I can get away with a y8 JRSC crank pulley + 3" snout pulley? What do you say for the longevity of the blower and the stock d16y8 bottom end itself?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
My concern with a 3.0" blower pulley would be belt slippage, especially with a 3 rib belt.

Speed wise, I wouldn't even bat an eye at 14,630 RPM. That's about the speed they ran with the upgraded JRSC crank pulley if I recall correctly.

Is this a project car? If it is, I'd mock up everything and measure how much clearance you have between the pulley and the frame rail/shock tower. Might be possible to swap on a 4-rub supercharger pulley which would allow you to use your stock crank pulley.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
No. You should hear a whirring sound but unless you're turning the pulley back and forth in opposite directions, there's shouldn't be any clicking.

It looks like you have the earlier version of the 3rd gen M45. I hope it doesn't need to be rebuilt. First order of business would be to remove the supercharger from the manifold and inspect the rotors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
hmmmmm...another buddy is looking at a y8 kit in Chicago area.... Joe, if you find out this kit is in oak forest, and pass on it because it might have a problem, text me please.... I want to prevent a friend from buying junk (if it has problems). Oscar Jackson told me in person, on our podcast (slipangle) that these are not rebuildable anymore, and they know of nobody able to fix them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts