Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short, y8=blown, y5 swapped in, y8 ecu running the show. Ecu throws fuel trim malfunction and fuel system too lean codes, (not a big deal to me but is too the smog people). Is it possible the y5 injectors 190cc are causing this and if I upgrade injectos this problem could go away?
Upgraded exhaust, intake, headers, and now the blox im is waiting on this injector thought. A lot to take in, need a second opinion.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well, here is the problem. A D16Y5 is a VTEC-E engine. When VTEC is not activated, only one intake valve opens. When VTEC is activated, both intake valves open. The injectors are both the same - what you really need is to put a Y8 head on the Y5 block, that will probably to the trick.

The other option is to get a Y5 ecu - but that will require buying and installing the 5 wire O2 sensor as well as the wiring for the EGR in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have read anything and everthing I could find on hx and ex heads, there is a lot of mis information and conflicting info, but the honda manual straight from honda set alot of things straight. O.k here we go, I swapped in ex injectors, blox im, headers, and tsudo exhaust this last week, so far the check engine light has not come on. My vtec actually hits @ 5400rpm, hard as a rock. My local shop, (cool people @ J&J motorsport in hesperia), told me that the hx internals are holding me back a little untill vtec hits. I already have a canadian si, our usa ex head, but we are just going to swap the internals, because the heads are identical casting.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
D16Y5's should be 240cc's. D16Y7's have the 190cc's.

Are you throwing P0171 or P0172?
I have it written down somewhere is was p0170 and p0171, fuel trim malfunction and fuel too lean, we also found the d-head shop that ripped me off put a jacked fuel rail, broken knock sensor, etc, etc, MAXHA racing sucks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
swap the internals with what? im actually doing a build on the y5. Big believer in the build what you got outlook.

Any info on the y5 would be a HUGE help. like, if i add an EX ecu, what will it do and so on. are there cams available, yadda yadda....

thanks man.

·
Registered
211 Posts
swap the internals with what? im actually doing a build on the y5. Big believer in the build what you got outlook.

Any info on the y5 would be a HUGE help. like, if i add an EX ecu, what will it do and so on. are there cams available, yadda yadda....

thanks man.
We're in the same boat here. The only cam available is a regrind. I've been trying to do research on companies making a cam for the y5, and the only one who seems to make it is crower. Still checkin' around though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

thanks man.
I am swapping the internals w/ a d16y8 head I go from canada.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

thanks man.
EX ecu will really mess your Y5 up. The best tuning solution for a Y5 is most likely a standalone, or a piggyback such as e-manage, or even a S-AFC. People have had great results with Y5 + boost, I'd be interested to see what it can do at the limit, N/A style.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
ihave a y8 head for sale if interested...2 bent valves

·
Registered
678 Posts
We're in the same boat here. The only cam available is a regrind. I've been trying to do research on companies making a cam for the y5, and the only one who seems to make it is crower. Still checkin' around though.
Don't go with crower. Trust me. Look into web cams hardwelded regrinds.

In order to tune the thing, you'll need to convert to obd-1. A chipped p28 works.

-josh-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts