Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone on here has them but was just curious would it be a good idea to have one on a turbo? For some reason I feel something wrong could happen...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... id say no. Anything is possible to do, but i would highly NOT reccomend doing this just because of tuning purposes. Not to metion, each ITB will have to have piping running to them, and maybe their own seperate BOV, but im not sure on exactly everything about the install.

Tuning ITB for daily driving on NA is a real big task, i dont even want to know what it would be like for a turbo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought so. Throttle response is greatly improved on an NA setup but again, tuning would be difficult on a turbo, or even an NA build...

They look very unstable when I look at them but just dream about that throttle response...

thanks for reply

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
yeah it prolly would drastically improve throttle response, but there are other ways to do that without itb's. You could run a 60mm b-series/gsr or even a 62mm type r throttle body and port match them to your intake manifold. If you are going turbo, then a bigger throttle body is better anyway. You could also run a lighter flywheel. with the less mass, you engine will rev faster.....but before you do that read this thread. http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44617

good luck

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
then you'd have a long runner intake manifold :)

the plenum would change all the tuning, would look like a OBX manifold........

which only costs $40 :)

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
transzex said:
then you'd have a long runner intake manifold :)

the plenum would change all the tuning, would look like a OBX manifold........

which only costs $40 :)
yup. to make ITBs work you would essentially be turning it into a regular IM, except with 4 butterflies. not worth the hassle when an Edelbrock or Skunk2 will work so much easier

·
Registered
314 Posts
my friend has itbs on his 20v 4age which is soon to be turbo. he has low comp gze pistons in it with a 8.9:1 ratio and it still hauls ass as is. the throttle response is crazy and it sounds like a motorcycle. makes me really want to make some itbs too, id prob buy an obx mani and cbr itbs and chop em chop em

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
i'd want to make an intake that looked something like a bisi header for this kind of app. but i don't really know how it would be affected by the lack of a plenum

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts

·
CRX KING
1,732 Posts
ITBs with a plenum do not equal a normal manifold with a large throttle body. You still get the throttle response that you nomally get with ITBs you just have much easier filtering options.

I was planning on boosted ITBs on my monster ZC build awhile back. Too bad that motor pissed me off beyond belief.

T

·
0 Posts
Not on a D-series, but it has been done on a B-series. I've been running Jenvey ITB's on my GSR for 2 years or so. Power improvement wasn't anything special, nor powerband was any better (so I didn't bother printing out any graphs), but all the improvement was from response, and throttle feel. The car drives significantly faster and everything was better, from launching to downshifting to banging through the gears.

It's easy to do some comparison with factory turbo engines already using ITB's. Such as RB20DETT, or the Pulsar GTiR SR20DET... The Ferrari F40 also uses ITB's with the factory turbo setup. The improvement is not really in the peak power department, but rather the nice throttle response and quicker to get everything going (quicker throttle response equals quicker air/fuel delivery which in turns puts exhaust gases through the turbo quicker). Every little helps, and why people took the effort to run ITB's on those factory cars is to minimize lag, better throttle feel and better engine response.

As for tuning, you must make a wise turbo selection. The above example of the GT42R Talon is a waste of time IMO. With such large turbo, the added throttle response would do nothing; a well designed single TB plenum focused on high boost power production is much more practical. With such a large turbo, you want lots of power once boost hits, and it is the partial boost which keeps the big turbo breathing and building boost.

If you choose a nice fast spooling turbo, like a GT28RS, GT2871R, or even a GT30R, tuning is actually quite simple. Unlike an NA car with 0-vacuum basically meaning WOT, a small turbo setup would throw the load scales into positive pressure (+ psi). The load scales and tuning resolution quickly expands as the engine reaches into boost and tuning is almost as easy as tuning a regular single TB setup. You will only have to pay a bit more attention on low RPM and low throttle cruising regions so set the close loop O2 a bit more aggressive to trim out the fuel. You will also experience very fast partial boost when cruising on the highway because a small jab of the throttle sends the boost gauge flying into boost and the car leaps forward. Other than that, I have been daily driving my Integra for the past two years with the ITB's and everything is in good running order. Close to stock gas mileage, plugs look great, and A/F is nice and stoich when it is needed to keep all the sensors, cat, etc.. in good running order :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts