Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Shell stations here are promoting the new "E10" Bioethanol fuel.
It's actually premium 91 or 93 octane mixed with (just) 10% ethanol (from sugarcane) and it sells cheaper.
Shell says it's perfectly suited esp for fuel injected engines?

But a mechanic who worked in the middle east before told me ethanol is bad for piston rings esp on high-comp engines... Is this true? i'll be running 11.3:1 c.r.

---anyone with documented info on this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
i cant say how it will effect a high comp engine, but i believe that if you wanted to run e85 you have to change all rubber fuel lines to lines made from some other material. the fuel your talking about is only 10% ethanol, but i would think that it could still be bad for the fuel lines.

ethanol fuel burns at a lower temp that reg fuel, that could be good for your engine!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was always under the impression that gas mileage drops with ethanol.... We use to buy it a a local racetrack back in the late 80's when gas was 59-79c a gallon. We thought "Oh WOW - Alcohol - that must make us faster and cleaner, and better mileage." Boy, were we wrong. Just a lack of education I guess....

Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
E85 is more resistent to detonation, but because of it's density, you will get worst mpg.... The good news is that the ethanol is exctrated from vegetation, so it's necesary to plant more korn (i think) and it will help to reduce CO2 contamination.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Its a toss up you get worse mpg with E85 because the AF's goes from 14.7ish to around 9ish to 1 for a stoich burn. The advantages are that it is 103-105 motor octane from the pump and its cheaper than gas in most areas.

·
Registered
826 Posts
ethanol is really dry and the gas companies adding more ethanol in the fuel means less lubrication characteristics of the gasoline. this will cause valve seals and cylinders to dry out and have much more wear much faster

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ethanol is also more corrosive. I believe E85 (flex fuel) vehicles have special injectors to stand up to it. Mind you this is comparing 10% vs. 85% ethanol.
yes this is true as well

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
..."ethanol is really dry and the gas companies adding more ethanol in the fuel means less lubrication characteristics of the gasoline. this will cause valve seals and cylinders to dry out and have much more wear much faster"

..."just add a blottle of top end lube if your that worried about, there are many people who have run 60plus thousand miles with no issues on E85."

..."it will work fine. i used it a lot when i was in the midwest. too bad its not available around here..."

Thanks guys.
Well i've been using it for like 3 months on two cars now and I have no issues with gas mileage (maybe because it's just 10% ethanol in the mix)
As far as performance on my D, I have noticed nothing (which is what I expected coz im still running stock compression).
However my b16 ef is pulling quite stronger when I use it and the occasional pinging is greatly reduced (wish i had dyno data to confirm my seat of the pants observation though LOL!..) so what gives?
Maybe its a fear of the unknown thing.. :(

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
in our state, a new law required all gas stations to do the ethanol mix of 10%. since the 1980's( i believe if i remember right) all cars were made to accept this mix. now on how it affects the motor... i went to tune my car and it had to be done in two parts because the high cam profile did not engage the first time... so i had PM7 pistons in my d16y8 and it made 119whp @ 5k . this was with 93 no mix, then the date for the gas stations to switch over to the mix happened with in 2 weeks of the day i went to tune my car, so we slapped it on the dyno and it lost 2whp with the mix, so we just compensated in timing to get it back up. the retune was done at approxametly the same time as the tune before but im not sure about the temperature, so this could also have affected the hp curve.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.