1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O

·
0 Posts
No, they are very used, and have scaring on on the skirt,s they cannot be reused as they will not proeprly seal, and could even cause you issues in your new motor. best to not use those pistons, the rods are ok, but pistons no.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
oscarmayer said:
No, they are very used, and have scaring on on the skirt,s they cannot be reused as they will not proeprly seal, and could even cause you issues in your new motor. best to not use those pistons, the rods are ok, but pistons no.
the auction said that only one piston has damage, and that the 2 pics of a screwed up one are the same piston. it says that the other ones are fine

O

·
0 Posts
if you spend $200 for a good set of rods then that's ok. but the pistons, only of you do not car about your project and will know your not goign to care if it blows up or pisses oil out the tailpipe like a smoking train.

D

·
0 Posts
A light scuffing on the pistons isn't something to be worried about, but if you do indeed get them check the others with a caliper to see how much material was removed in the process of creating those scuffs. Buffing will only make it worse, since it removes small amounts of material. I have a set of pistons that appear to be scuffed badly, but I took them to a machine shop locally and they were checked out to be .004 smaller than normal due to the scuffing on those two sides, which is still usable according to the head machinist who builds high horsepower NA v8's for people. He's a credible guy, so I'm taking his word on it.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I wouldnt do it either.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
3,003 Posts
Dont go for it. Whenever im debating wether to do something or no i never do it,.. Thats just your little voice behind you head telling you you'll regret it. And most of the time its right.

O

·
0 Posts
.004 despte what thay machinist says, that is out of honda factory specs. Honda motors are NOTHING like he has ever delt with. 1 onehundred thousandths of an inch can make the difference between good and bad on a honda motor.

please, STOP going to V8 shops that don't have expirnece with Honda motors guys. This is how you ruin engines. V8's have a 7-12 thou gap in the bearins honda is only 1.5-2.5 thou. Their piston to wall clearances are 10-12 honda is 2-4thou. See the differnces? 90% of all v8 shops do not have the proper equipment to properly work on a honda engine the way Honda says it needs to be done. These are not my specs but Honda specs.

That's why I harp on Endyn, they specialize in Honda. YES they do others too which makes otehr build that much more impressive, but honda is their forte so to speak.

B

·
0 Posts
IF you are too far from Endyn or cannot afford it, the next best place to go is your local Honda Motorcycle repair shop. They deal with essentially the same engine, and moto mechanics tend to be a little more thorough than car mechanics (not always) they can recommend a good machine shop.

O

·
0 Posts
Awesome point Bspeed! I would have enver tought of that. See what happens we we all get together and work on something as a group. ;) oO gorup hug! ok now lets all go pick flowers, hug a tree and name our kids sunshine, or moonbeam! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok first off forged pistons need more piston to wall clearance than cast pistons. so you cant go off the honda specs you have to go off the specs that come with the forged piston.

O

·
0 Posts
going off a set of weiscos they call for 275-300 thou clearances. Stocks are about the same if not "maybe" a slight bit tigheter. if your running a junker foreiged psiton then i can see them saying 5-6 thou but good stuff is about 2-3 thou mabe 325

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes thats true most of the new forged pistons are low exspansion pistons. i had a set of forged pistons about 6 years ago that called for 5 to 7 thous. clearance. just giving some input not trying to start any wars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts