Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D-Series-D15-D16-1-5L-1-6L-SOHC-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-TURBO-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ370017852365QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a102#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why "no sir" i had the same kit and i made 305 whp with a good tune. And the turbo lasted 3 yrs so dont knock off ebay kits just because they are not name brand. IMO for the money is worth it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
what is the price??? i actally have this kit! and tell you what it is not for a crx!!! :TD: when you come down to it, it's not a bad kit for the price! there are way worse kit out there!!!

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
clearly people are using it and it works.......

I wouldn't personaly use it. well, I'd actually use a few things in that kit. though I'm all about HMT kits. though a new turbo would be nice. everything else is like who gives a shit if its used.

I dunno, it depends what there going for. you could easily get the shit you actually need seperately for cheaper.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Why "no sir" i had the same kit and i made 305 whp with a good tune. And the turbo lasted 3 yrs so dont knock off ebay kits just because they are not name brand. IMO for the money is worth it.
Why did I say "no sir", because in my opinion it is not worth "it" at all. Seeing as how "it " is a dollar value more than $700. It's great that you made 300whp on yours, but look at the ratio of "success" to failure with the kits. Is it worth the headachs is a better question. Look at how many people have had success with the manifolds, v/s how many have had problems...same with the turbos and the wastegates. You will get some that are fine...some that aren't...is it worth the headache to hope that you get a good one?
Do you want to drive around wondering if your wastegate is going to hit the ground any minute now or not?
In my mind as a customer looking to purchase a turbo kit, one of the 1st things I would look for is a reliable record, which kits similar to this one do not have. I would look for reliable parts, which these have been proven to be hit or miss...I'd rather get the definate "hit". Can you pick up the phone and call them and speak to a person that is willing to handle a problem...probably not. Will it fit the car out the box...I'd bet money it won't. So is it worth it...depends on what "worth" is. If you want a bunch of parts in a box that are similar to "name brand parts" that may fit and may last...then yes, I guess it is. Is it even more worth it to save up a little more and by better parts the first time around without the headache of replacing broken parts repeatedly, definately yes.
I'm not knocking it just because it's on ebay, I'm about to start listing on ebay. Ebay is just a world market. You can by plenty of good things on ebay sometimes. There are used Garrets on there all the time, there are used Tials, there's alot of good used things. There are alot of decent new things...and there's alot of bull$hit.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Autoworks is trying to steer you right! I'm saving my $$$$ for one of his kits. You can do much better if you put together your own HMT kit. A lot of this Ebay stuff is hit or miss as far as fitment and quality.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY! I used an e-bay turbo and within a couple months it was completely fucked. I hadn't realized it before but the manifold was found to be cracked when I took the turbo off too.

The turbo was ruined, no chance of rebuilding it at all. The manifold was a complete piece of shit!

Save your money and go with one of d-series many sponsors kits.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Why did I say "no sir", because in my opinion it is not worth "it" at all. Seeing as how "it " is a dollar value more than $700. It's great that you made 300whp on yours, but look at the ratio of "success" to failure with the kits. Is it worth the headachs is a better question. Look at how many people have had success with the manifolds, v/s how many have had problems...same with the turbos and the wastegates. You will get some that are fine...some that aren't...is it worth the headache to hope that you get a good one?
Do you want to drive around wondering if your wastegate is going to hit the ground any minute now or not?
In my mind as a customer looking to purchase a turbo kit, one of the 1st things I would look for is a reliable record, which kits similar to this one do not have. I would look for reliable parts, which these have been proven to be hit or miss...I'd rather get the definate "hit". Can you pick up the phone and call them and speak to a person that is willing to handle a problem...probably not. Will it fit the car out the box...I'd bet money it won't. So is it worth it...depends on what "worth" is. If you want a bunch of parts in a box that are similar to "name brand parts" that may fit and may last...then yes, I guess it is. Is it even more worth it to save up a little more and by better parts the first time around without the headache of replacing broken parts repeatedly, definately yes.
I'm not knocking it just because it's on ebay, I'm about to start listing on ebay. Ebay is just a world market. You can by plenty of good things on ebay sometimes. There are used Garrets on there all the time, there are used Tials, there's alot of good used things. There are alot of decent new things...and there's alot of bull$hit.
AND there folks is your answer... :)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
AND there folks is your answer... :)
:werd:

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
thats actually the 1st turbo kit that i bought.
the manifold is the worst by far, very thin steel and bird shit welds.
ive had good success with the wastegates, but makes sure that the diaphram isnt pinched like some of them where. but the wastegates do accept the tial springs just fine.
intercoolers might work fine, but id do a pressure test just to make sure that theres no leaks.
couplings that i got where non reinforced, or non layered crap that can rip very easily. id actually rather use a no hub coupling or fernco than those.
the fake ssqv bov has worked fine for me..but on both of them that ive had there have been leaks at the flange and o-ring. the 1st one had to have a generous amount of silicone. the second one already had the silicone when i bought it.
boost controllers are fine.
ive seen too many pics of air filters gone bad, apparently the center likes to get unglued and sucked into the turbo inducer. not good.
downpipes never seem to fit right.
turbos are about a 50/50 chance.
intercooler piping might work, but usually needs some modding or work that shouldnt be necessary.
wafer style gaskets like to burn out, crush style is what you want.
if the hose clamps are worm clamps, throw the shit in the trash. you cant tighten the worm clamps down that much before they shit on you.
i dont know what else to say but you can probably piece together what you see for less money. but why?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
Bottom line it is a piece of garbage.....there is plenty of info regarding these ebay kits....if one would only search one would not have to ask this over and over again
:werd:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.