Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://auto-rx.com/

It seems too good to be true, but this stuff really seems to work. The site above doesn't really have any proof aside from testimonials, but someone took it upon himmself to make a nice little blow-by-blow showing the results. They look fairly promising. The numbers seem more impressive than the pictures, though. His compression went from ~120psi to ~172psi (stock ratings are 179psi) after the treatment was complete.

http://www.rms13.com/index.htm

The treatment takes place in a two-stage, multi-step process. They suggest using non-synthetic oil for this entire process (which is just dandy for us older honda users :mrgreen: ) First you add this stuff to your oil, and replace the oil filter to catch all the crap being knocked loose. Then you drive for 1500 miles and change the oil and filter. Then do it again after an additional 2000 miles. Now change the oil and add the second round of the stuff. Drive for 1000 miles and change the oil and filter. And you're done.

With little done outside of what should be routine maintenance (although slightly more frequent) it seems like a slam dunk for those without neither the time/money to warrant a complete rebuild on their beater/daily driver.

B

·
0 Posts
Git r done, and let us know how it works for you. If it really works like they say it does, it could be a great preventative maintenance measure to take before boosting a car as well.

·
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, but i'm dropping in a fresh engine in a couple weeks :lol:

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
hmmm... how is this different from putting Seafoam in your oil?

J

·
0 Posts
to my knowledge seafoam and other engine flushes tell you not to drive on them vs this one appears to be streetable. My guess would be seafoam and the other engine flushes are harsher and work faster thus, the requirments to not drive with them in the oil. On of the premises of this engine miracle is that grit and such (carbon deposits etc) are causing you premature wear and tear. However if you run synthetic from day 1 you should honestly not have that much varnish or deposits in the first place. Also seals and such tend to start leaking after engine flushs thus necessitating a change of the seals anyways..(so you still have to teardown the engine sometimes) This would be most recommended IMHO on an engine that was driven on dino oil, and then switched to synthetic. (if you switch directly without cleaning the engine with seafoam etc...then you risk having the deposits come lose and circulate around your oil passages until your next oil change)

-Juan

·
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly ^^

Us older Ds are well versed in the ways of dino oil :lol: so I've deffinitely got those buildups of crap everywhere. This new engine will be a synthetic baby 8)

J

·
0 Posts
9000_red said:
break in w/ normal oil, then run syn, right?
I never undestood why you would want to break in with dino oil. Alot of modern sports car use Mobil1 factory fill for break in and they are okay. I think if you are going to use sync might as well use it for break in, that way all the bearing etc, wear to the tolerances of sync.

Example of factory breakin sync: Chevy Corvette, Porsche 911, and Mercedes for the AMG lineup....

-Juan

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
i was always told that it's better for the seals and gaskets to break them in with regular motor oil first, i'm sure these guys know EXACTLY why. just random info i've picked up along the way...

G

·
0 Posts
There are all kinds of different theories on oils, and break-in periods out there. Each theory has some pretty good arguments to back them up. I would have to say that there is no difinitive right or wrong way. Hell, even the major automotive manufacturers with millions of dollars on their engineering payroll can't decide on a single break in procedure. If you are looking for good scientific oil theory, I would highly recomend reading up over at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I am always skeptical of new "miracle" products like this. I would trust Sea Foam over this, simply because it has been around for DECADES, and I have yet to hear a bad report on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts