Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The seller of this turbo told me that it's a gt28rs.
Can someone confirm this? It came from a Fiat Coupe 20V T.

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take the cover off and measure the inducer and exducer
^this.
Even after using the numbers on the riveted number plate, I still had to do some measuring, then back-checking with Garrett's website to confirm what turbo I had. Looks like you'll have to do the same.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Punch the seller in the face for trying to scam you. TB2810 is not a gt28.
I thought the same. Just found a few minutes ago on the internet that a stock turbo from a Fiat Coupe 20V is a TB2810.

But now i'm for sure it isn't a Gt28rs.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
840 Posts
there are stock gt28s they came on nissan srs i have one haha but thats some bullshit id get some money back

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
That is not a GT2860RS, you can tell just by looking at the compressor cover.

It looks like a GT2560R, commonly called a "T28", not a bad turbo for <250 hp.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Actually......

The best method is to unbolt the comp cover and measure the compressor wheel. It should be 47.2mm (1.890") inducer and 60mm exducer (2.365").

It is not a T3. It does have some of the correct looking parts to be a GT2860RS. Yes they have used GT line turbos on OEM applications. The S15 turbo is GT28R (or GT2560R in the new line).

If it is a GT2560R it will be 46.5mm inducer and 60mm exducer.

It is also highly unlikely that they used ball bearing in the turbo. Yes Garrett makes GT line turbos without ball bearings. Personally I would prefer it NOT to have the ball bearings.

How much are they asking? Garrett sells OEM turbos that are GT line turbos. Its actually where the bulk of their turbo line goes too.

Also do not over worked by the Garrett lingo. The new GT line is yesterdays T28 stuff. Yesterdays T28 is the 70's T3. If you look at compressor specs you will find out the the GT2860RS has the same compressor as the Super 60 T3 turbo. The GT2560R has a 60 trim T3 compressor. The GT2259 is nothing more then T3 50 trim compressor. I could go on and on. What makes the newer turbos special is the ball bearings. Even the turbines are the same head design as the older T28 turbos. You can use the older Nissan T25 turbine housing on the GT2860RS. All Garrett did was slap a new name on the line-up and add a "snappy" GT nomenclature and as the Great "Emeril Lagasse" would say

BAM!!!!

You have the GT line of turbos.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just looked it up for you. It s the same as the later S13 and S14 Nissan T28 turbos.

42.5mm inducer and 60mm exducer

It is somewhat smaller then the GT2560R and GT2860RS but it will still perform fairly decent. It may have ball bearings on the compressor side, it may not. Some turbos are funny like that. The early S13 that were T28 and not T25 in Japan had ball bearings. The ones that were exported did not.

Do not confuse compressor side ball bearings witha full ball bearing cartridge though. They had a ball bearing pack on the compressor side but not the turbine side. They were basically half and half.

·
Registered
840 Posts
^ that sounds retarded but also not suprising i did not know that you can swap housings like that good to know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts