Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think this is ok for a turbo setup shopping list? Im aiming for about 180hp-200hp at the flywheel and the car will be for street/fun daily driver.

Prelude injectors (they are 345cc I think)
HF manifold
T28 turbo or ihi rhf4 or maybe rhf5 (depends which I can get and I need to read up a bit to figure out which is best suited). But I think a t25 is a bit small?
Intercooler (what ever I can get and fit)
P28 ecu with obd1 conversion harness
Tuned using uberdata or crome.

All the other bits like turbo down pipe, dump valve (bov as you guys know it), oil lines, intercooler pipework, 2.25" exhaust, rom burning kit, wideband meter & gtech meter.

Does that sound all about right or am I going overboard on something/left something out? Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yeh, good point about the crank case. Not sure what to do yet but I'll find out. I suppose it'll have to be linked to the pre-turbo pipework.

What does DSM mean though? I've seen it so much in the forum but being in the UK, it means nothing to me and I've never seen any injectors called that for sale which is why I was picking the prelude injectors.

LSD would be nice but getting hold of one over here isnt going to be easy. Nor cheap!

One thing I forgot, is the standard clutch up to the job of handling that kind of power or will I need to uprate it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
What does DSM mean though? I've seen it so much in the forum but being in the UK, it means nothing to me and I've never seen any injectors called that for sale which is why I was picking the prelude injectors.

One thing I forgot, is the standard clutch up to the job of handling that kind of power or will I need to uprate it?
DSM = Diamond Star Motors

I dont know about you but...my stock clutch slips HARD from second to 3rd. And all i have is a d16z6 powered del sol w/ CAI and a megan racing header. So thats a yes...a clutch upgrade is definately going to be a good idea to go with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did say thank you but my post has disappeared. The forum went a rather pink colour too :lol:

The other day, my run about blew up. On it is a rhf4 ihi turbo. According to IHI, it's good for an engine 62bhp - 177bhp. What's annoying is that there's no propper flow maps so I cant see for myself where it's most effective.
Do people think it would be a good turbo to go with or is it a bit too small?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
14b's seem to be hard to come by here :(. most of the subaru guys snap them up at silly prices as an upgrade. Closest I can get is a td04-13g, which is what they tend to upgrade from. I've read through Corky's maximum boost, threw all the figures/calculations into a spreadsheet and came up with this... Do they look right?

Pressure ratio atmos - 14.7
Boost - 7
Pressure ratio - 1.476190476

cid - 97.4
rpm - 7000
4 stroke cycle - 0.5
Volumetric efficiency - 0.85

Air flow rate - CFM - 167.6880787
Air flow rate - m3/min - 4.753063455

Turbo airflow rate - CFM - 247.5395448
Turbo airflow rate - m3/min - 7.016427005

Now whats confusing me is that on this map of a 13g, it looks like the right turbo to use. http://www.stealth316.com/images/td04-13g-cfm.gif
But on this map, it doesnt. http://www.stealth316.com/images/td04-13g-raw.gif
Am I missing something because it doesnt match up to me.

Oh and on the IHI front, the rhf4 is way too small. The power rating of 177bhp was based on the maximum power you would get in a boosted application rather than suitable for engines which when naturally asperated, are no more than 177bhp. But it looks ideal for fitting to my classic mini when I finish restoring her ;-)

I've spotted some 360cc injectors too. But I'm guessing they are a bit too small too :lol: I'll just have to keep on hunting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts