Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled apart a transmission that "only popped out of third sometimes" and found almost every bearing wasted. Started cleaning and found pitting on several gears.

In leaning towards not using the gears that look line the attachment...just keep stuff as emergency spares and rebuild a different transmission...

Attachments

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
that gear is going to be weakened from all those defects, they're a perfect place for stress cracks to originate

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kind of what i was figuring. At first i was mad...but i got the transmission, a lightweight flywheel that was almost brand new, an exedy oem clutch and extra shift linkage all for $50.

i am betting the gears in my 305k mile original transmission look better...and unfortunately that gear is not the only one, just one that took the best pic.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
167 Posts
Just in case you do want to keep them around you can get it baked or cleaned at your local machine shop. They might even be able to tell you if it's worth it beforehand. Just an idea before you use them as paper weights only.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case you do want to keep them around you can get it baked or cleaned at your local machine shop. They might even be able to tell you if it's worth it beforehand. Just an idea before you use them as paper weights only.
not a bad idea. I might just swing down there and ask.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Junk the shafts, might be able to save the pinion and ring gear....but junk everything else.

the case and forks might be saved......I have quite a few empty core cases because of this.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The case looks pretty good. the ISB, and the roller bearing in the case were shot. And by shot i mean shot all over the place. I did notice galling on the end of the input shaft where the bearing sit. I have not looked closely at the ring and pinion, though I recall one of the diff bearings showed a lot of wear on the balls.

oh well at least it makes a good practice assembly unit to get used to how to do it lol

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i tore the 305k mile trans down. everything looks pristine except for the rounded brass syncro rings. bearings even look great, but i am going to change them all anyway since im in there. Will pull the crappy trans with the mfactory lsd and put it in this one in a few weeks and be happy with the original transmission and then have two spares....hopefully the one that came with the lsd isnt messed up badly....

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
Good cores for old Beetle gearing swap. ;)
Maybe a bit backyard engineering but 1.47, 1.6 & 1.74 ratios at least available.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good cores for old Beetle gearing swap. ;)
Maybe a bit backyard engineering but 1.47, 1.6 & 1.74 ratios at least available.

lol
makes me want to get another one. my second car was a 68 ghia and my next was a 69 bug. both had custom paint, custom seats, custom interior, and mild engine mods. tins of fun and easy to work on.

·
Registered
ED6&7. EE4&5, MB1
200 Posts
I ment using the VW gear ratios in d-series transmission.
VW Beetle main and counter shafts have same spacing as d-series.
Just have to weld the VW "gear ring" to machined d-series gear core.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ment using the VW gear ratios in d-series transmission.
VW Beetle main and counter shafts have same spacing as d-series.
Just have to weld the VW "gear ring" to machined d-series gear core.
no kidding. thats wild...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts