Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A buddy gave me this d16y8 block for free. It's been sitting outside for god knows how long and they cylinder walls have rust on them. I wiped two of the cylinders out with some wd40 and ran my finger around them and I don't feel any pitting . It does turn over with some force. If it is usable what would I look to replace? It would of course need honed. I'm assuming probably pistons and rings. Maybe rods and bearings. Also what can I use to get some of the rust off before honing? I posted this on Honda Tech too just wanted to get different opinions

Attachments

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Im just wondering..

If its a perfectly good block, why was it left out in the elements?

Id drop it off at a machine shop and et their opinion. After a hot tank and a hone, then you should see possibly potential/scrap

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
wonder which site would flame you more?

buy a large Tupperware container.
place block into container.
pour as much clr as you can into container to cover block.
let sit for a week.
remove in a week and inspect.

Id be more worried about what the crank, rod journals, and wrist pins look like more than the tops of the pistons.

going to be a factory rebuild?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my friend is an idiot. Not really sure why he left it out.

I didn't even think about the crank and journals. I haven't taken the oil pan off yet.

I'm between a factory rebuild and going with p2p0 rods and pistons

·
4,045 Posts
if youre going with different rods and pistons, it all depends on how the crank, girdle, and mains look. go to walmart, buy the stuff needed, open the oil pan and start the cleaning process. you may find out the crank aint worth shit

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i just need to take the oil pan off, put the block in a pan upside down and soak the internals for a few days?

I'm going to try and find a machine shop around here and see what it would cost to have it hot tanked.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
No, you need to take apart everything.

AND QUIT TRYING TO SPIN IT. you could be doing damage to journals

·
4,045 Posts
all I said was to open it up and inspect. Id first let it sit in a tub of clr like I did with my a6 head I got from someone who let it sit. once it was sorta clean, I then inspected it.

if you want to pay the machine shop fees, by all means, take it to a shop.

·
4,045 Posts
Did the CLR have any effect on the aluminum?
no negative effects at all. I let it sit for a week completely submerged it and cleaned it up real nice. hot tank would have been faster, but imo, it was just as clean, if not slightly less than.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I think Dollar Tree has knock off CLR

buying the real stuff could get pricey since the bottle is only 16oz

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Take it apart and see. It's all going to come down to how the crank looks. The walls can be honed and decked depends on what you're trying to do, otherwise just find another block that's in running condition.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I took the oil pan, girdle and an end cap off one of the rods. The journals and crank actually look like they're in good shape. No rust or scoring. Here's some pics. They're not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Rod and main journals look about normal. A few years ago I bought something like 10-12 gallons of Berryman Chem-dip from Walmart and put it in a large container. Every part or engine I get that is like this goes through the "vat" for at least half a day. The parts come out looking like new and whatever gunk is left on them isn't on them anymore after a pass through the pressure washer. It's impossible to gauge the health of your cylinders until you actually clean/hone them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah I'm pretty happy about their condition. Gonna clean up the cylinders tomorrow and see how they look. If worse comes to worse I can always get them bored.

Now I just need to decide on what pistons and rods to go with

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chances are you'll need to get the cylinders bored. With the way that block has just been sitting with nothing covering it I'm sure you'll find some pitting. A basic .020 over should cure it but cleaning will reveal that. Clean it, see what you find, figure out what your goal is and that'll determine your PW clearance when/if boring needs to happen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im shooting for as close to 10:1 compression as I can get. It will see some boost later on down the road, but the engine will be in the car way before that.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
if that was my block, I would bolt the oil pan back on, and grab a rubber maid container big enough to submerge it, and fill the entire block up with mineral spirits.

I let an intake manifold soak in our parts washer tank (with a bad pump) for a week and it scrubbed brand new after a hto water rinse.
Or you could go hood-cheap and fill the container and motor with diesel fuel and soak for a week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chances are you'll need to get the cylinders bored. With the way that block has just been sitting with nothing covering it I'm sure you'll find some pitting. A basic .020 over should cure it but cleaning will reveal that. Clean it, see what you find, figure out what your goal is and that'll determine your PW clearance when/if boring needs to happen.
with a .020 bore what piston size would I be looking at?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts