Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Integra GSR
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to honda...i bought an all original '93 civic cx hatchback about a month ago. i've been thinking of doing an engine swap to a d16z6. a buddy of mine has one w/165k miles on it that he'll sell me for $500 (tranny and all) + $300 for installation. is that a decent price? the mileage seems kinda high but like i said, i'm new to honda.

would i be better off going to a salvage yard and buying an engine out of a totalled civic ex w/lower mileage?

thanks for any tips/advice! looking forward to having some power in my daily driver.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
I duno man. 500. I seen some go for like 300. Installation is a piece of cake. Mainly just running your vtec other than that everything else is as easy as it came out. If you have some experience with motors then you should be able to do it in a weekend. My friends and i used to swap motors all in one day. One day swap, it aint dat hard. I say it took us like 14 to 16 hours.

C

·
0 Posts
now i dont know too much eather but, i think its kinda high for the milage, but then again im cheap too, id say about 300 tops from me, and 300$ is not so bad for instalation. but id wait and try to find a wrecked EX with about 100K or less, cause i dont see the point in swapping a high milage motor to build on when you never know when it might go out.

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
2003 Civic Si
3,003 Posts
clean95EX said:
now i dont know too much eather but, i think its kinda high for the milage, but then again im cheap too, id say about 300 tops from me, and 300$ is not so bad for instalation. but id wait and try to find a wrecked EX with about 100K or less, cause i dont see the point in swapping a high milage motor to build on when you never know when it might go out.
Yea 500 isnt that high but the mileage is. The cx hatch i sold to HondaCreation had only 75k miles in it. The car had over 110k but the z6 swap motor had only 75k, and i gave him a good deal on the whole car with bolts on and shit. I was gonna sell the z6 for 550 with cai, stage 2 clutch, headers, irridium plugs, etc but i sold the whole car

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
$500 sounds a little high to me, but you are getting a tranny with it right? If it werent for that I'd probably pass. Like mentioned before, you oughta try installing it yourself. It's not really that hard. It may just take more time since you seem a little new to Honda's. Well good luck.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
$500 w/ tranny is a good deal BUT it has alot of mileage on it. Why dont u look into getting a jdm d15 motor? Alot of them come w/ low mileage and in decent shape. If your on a budget offer your friend $100 for the tranny & ecu and get a jdm d15 motor and you'll be good to go.

B

·
0 Posts
i think 500 sounds a little high. but thats just me, i look for any motor that i can find that will be in my price range, then RE-BUILD it. that is my advice for you. RE-BUILD the motor if you buy that one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts