Honda D Series Forum banner

Is there any forged rods that don't require notching of the block?

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  NOSAJ 
#1 · (Edited)
like the title say's im gonna be building my d16a6 for boost shooting for 350whp and ill be happy. I already have 75mm vitara pistions and new oem rod,main bearings now im ready to order some rods for my build. is there any rods that don't require block notching or do they all require you to notch the block? it isn't really a problem if i absolutly have to but id rather not deal with it. any help would be appreciated. also when i put my bearings in do i have to plastigauge everything or if the bearing that came out look fine with no unusual wear marks i should be fine with just installing new bearings

#3 ·
Plastigauge regardless IMO. IDK if I beams require notching or not.

Reactions: Hellhatch
#5 ·
fear of metal shavings or messing up? idk. id it came down to it. id do it with a chisel(sp?) and a 20 pound sledge hammer. i honestly dont care! its not hard to mess it up :O

#8 ·
wow thanks for the fast replies guy's the people on this site are great. i mean it's not really a problem if i have to notch the block i was just wondering if there was any companies that don't require you to notch it or i you only have to notch it with h-beams and not i-beams or something. about the plastigauge so even if my bearings that i take out have no signs of wear i still need to plastigauge? say the plastiguge wasn't in spec with my new bearings i never understood what you have to do to get them in spec. like say they were to loose do i have to order new bearings that's thicker or something, like how do you fix the out of spec problem?

#10 ·
Plastigage gives you an idea if you have clearance/tolerance for your Bearings on Block and Bearings on the Connecting Rods for the Cranks Journals when you Torque everything down. If you know the Whole History of your Block and are confident that everything will Lube Properly, Go for it. I don't know the History of the Block that I got from another Member so I'll Plastigage it just so can see if my Specs are good or not. It's just up to the Builder I guess. Some members have posted that the Plastigage result wasn't to specs and what should they do. Some give it more Torque.

#15 ·

white-vic i notched with my i-beams ,dont know if it was neccasery but did it anyway.. its easy ....
checking clearances is important when building engines.

on a bearing related note. i heard once that plastigauge has no real place in engine building.

just my .02 if you dont have the tools to blueprint/measure correctly pay someone to do it.
m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.