Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to pull a motor without having to take apart the hubs so i can get the axle's out?

gonna be doing this within the next day or so and ive been trying to come up with with something. so far nothing!

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
you will need to break the 32mm nut free at the end of the axle, remove shock assembly and remove 2 17mm bolts holding upper control arms in. after you do that, you will have enough room to pop the axles out of the hubs.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need to break the 32mm nut free at the end of the axle, remove shock assembly and remove 2 17mm bolts holding upper control arms in. after you do that, you will have enough room to pop the axles out of the hubs.
sounds easy enough. thanks for the help bro! :)

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no problem. i have done that countless times. takes no time at all to remove the front suspension.
unless it's coated in red paint like my buddy's car..lol!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Dont forget to unstake the axle nut.

·
Registered
547 Posts

i rather use that way. i hate removing the lower ball joint.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Why not undo the lower ball joint and be done with it ..Thanremove the axle.
because I absolutely hate dealing with lower ball joints. the last one that I dealt with was so much of a pain in the ass that I vowed never to deal with one again. With my way, I have it down to where it only takes just a few moments to remove front shocks and pop out the upper control arms.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
aw man, that tool would have been so helpful last night!
i tried the balljoint method, then a couple hours later i said fuck that!

so i tried the suspension removal, worked like a charm!

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
when doing my swap, i popped the axles loose in the tranny, then undid the bolt holding the shock fork to the lca, then undid the bolt holding the lca to the chasis.. then just swung it out enough to get the axle out.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
aw man, that tool would have been so helpful last night!
i tried the balljoint method, then a couple hours later i said fuck that!

so i tried the suspension removal, worked like a charm!

u dont need the pickle for (ball joint remover) to do the ball joint method. all i did was take the nut off and then get a hammer and give it one good hit sideways and it should pop out. i removed my engine lastnite and there was no problem at all. same went for when i removed the steering arm too...

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u dont need the pickle for (ball joint remover) to do the ball joint method. all i did was take the nut off and then get a hammer and give it one good hit sideways and it should pop out. i removed my engine lastnite and there was no problem at all. same went for when i removed the steering arm too...
lucky you! i was whacking away for about an hour and a half, used a prybar, punched it, sweared at it.....nothing!

suspension method seemed to go a little smoother IMO.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
WIth the tool I have ($5.99 at Harbor Freight) I ground down the "point" and I only use to to apply tension. Pull the castle nut off, replace with a normal nut, mount the tool......this prevents crushing the threads in the weak spot for the cotter pins.......

1-1.5 turns on the tool, then a light smack with the hammer.....pop...next...

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
all i had to do was take out the cotter pins on the steering arm, and on the ball joint, removed the nut for both, then two good hits for each one and they popped rite on out. removed axles.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
you got lucky, also why I use antiseize when I put the cotter pins back in.

Wait, 3500 miles no cotter pins in the SIX front locations.......OMG I must be crazy!!!!!!!

Just make sure the nuts are tight :)

Don't worry, car hits the garge tomorrow for inspection and cotter pins.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts