Honda D Series Forum banner

Is there a bracket and belt to replace AC with another alternator?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  slo_eg8 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanna run a second alternator in my 95DX coupe with D16z6 engine. I wanna do this to charge a bank of batteries in a campsite.

Are there off the shelf high output alternators available for d16z6? I really wanna run two, though, so I can have even more charging available.

Also, how much fuel does the engine burn per hour while idling? with and without AC on.

I'm about to move into a camp site if I can figure this out.

#2 ·
HO Alt is available, the bracket is a no. You can't have two alts and AC as well unless you put an alt. where the PS once was, and then it will be underdriven.

If you are worried about fuel consumption, you need to look into a 3500-8500 watt generator and embrace the noise.

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
I'm getting an upgraded radiator/fan soon anyway, and an oil cooler and a transmission cooler and pump, so cooling is not something I'm worried about at all.

HO Alt is available, the bracket is a no. You can't have two alts and AC as well unless you put an alt. where the PS once was, and then it will be underdriven.

If you are worried about fuel consumption, you need to look into a 3500-8500 watt generator and embrace the noise.
I don't have AC. Or power steering. So theoretically I could have three alternators? I don't have a welder so I cannot make brackets. A couple 300amp alternators would be enough besides for surge, if I had 3 that would be sick.

I was looking at generators and they all make me wanna take them apart and upgrade their mufflers to like a civic muffler or like a BMW euro-spec cat/muffler so it sounds nice. Not like the damn PP can mufflers they make for cheap gas equipment. I also wanna run a 275 gallon IBC crate as fuel tank to refill with 55 gallon barrels and a truck. Plus taking off the on-off switch and replacing it with a computerized circuit so it switches on automatically when the battery bank runs down. That'd make it work really well with any amount of solar panels.

I was googling and I kept coming up with no B/D series alternators with high output. I guess google didn't wanna show me this site, which page did you find it on and with what search terms? I have a lot of respect for how well you google things. One won't be enough though I'll need two or maybe even three. That'd be the same output as a good generator.

I know how to install solar systems, I'd make a solar array and use it to supply power and charge batteries, but I need something for cloudy days and night time too. It looks like it'd be more expensive to put three alternators on the car ($1,500 in alternators vs less than $750 for generator) so I guess I'll just get the damn generator. But I'd really like to put three of these high output alternators on my d16z6 that needs nothing besides alternator on it, and that'd be just as good as a generator. That way I can keep the batteries in the trunk like I'd like, put the inverter in there too, and I can power up any cabin. Plus, I'd need a trailer for my car to get the generator around that's why I don't like it. This has got me thinking I'm gonna need a truck or SUV. 7.3 excursion or 5.3 sierra/Silverado? Or maybe a van? I could live in the excursion or the van nicely, that way I don't need a camp site.

#8 ·
Mechanic doesn’t list Honda alternators for b / d series. You have to call and custom order. I got it quoted for a b-series alternator was like $350 and it was max 180amp output . Which will charge two batteries considering the stock d series alternator puts out like 100amps on its best day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.