Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find some info on this, but everyone seems to talk about OBD2-OBD1 swap so much I couldn't find anything useful.

In my crx i'm currently running a d16y5 with an Integra LS Ecu (I think it's a PR4) I see all sorts of OBD0-OBD1 conversion harnesses, as well as chip kits for OBD0. I really just want to get better than 31mpg, free up whatever horsepower i'm missing out on with the incorrect ecu, engage vtec at 3300rpm (near stock) and dabble with chipping/tuning to see if that's something I want to invest some more time and money in. I have an obd1 ecu from my 92 dx that I could use if I decided to go that route, so I'm really only looking at the cost of the converstion harness, right?

Where would you reccomend buying from? Currently I'm looking at http://xenocron.com/

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You jsut need a conversion harness and to set your P06 up as a P28 and load Y8 fuel and timing maps. I think crossover is lower than 3200 on the HX motor though.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You jsut need a conversion harness and to set your P06 up as a P28 and load Y8 fuel and timing maps. I think crossover is lower than 3200 on the HX motor though.
Yeah but is it worth it? the harnesses seem pretty expensive, but what am I adding that I can't do by chipping an OBD0 ecu?

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
my hx hit vtec around around 3k. it has been so long i dont remember exactly but i know it is not higher than 3200. i would go obd1 also. i think you just get better tuning capabilities with obd1.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can obd0 run Vtec ? How would OBD0 run it better? What do you mean by proper?

Pretty sure vtec is supposed to be at 3200rpm, thought I might bump it up a tad and see how that affects gas milage since below 3300 rpm I obviously don't mean buisness anyway. Currently I've got a toggle switch wired up to vtec, so just about anything would be an improvement over my current setup.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OBD-0 can, but you have more control over fuel and timeing with a OBD-1 ECU.

·
Registered
248 Posts
OBD-0 and OBD-1 have almost the exact same tuning points.. you would be fine with whatever tuning program u want to use and you can convert a PR4 to Vtec and use that... its probably ur best bet for lowest cost... use the NG60 Vtec Bin for turboedit (ON xENOCRONS BIN directory) then tune on that, it has a A/C output for Vtec, thats probably ur best bet... then u wont have to do anything but socket the PR4...

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OBD-0 and OBD-1 have almost the exact same tuning points.. you would be fine with whatever tuning program u want to use and you can convert a PR4 to Vtec and use that... its probably ur best bet for lowest cost... use the NG60 Vtec Bin for turboedit (ON xENOCRONS BIN directory) then tune on that, it has a A/C output for Vtec, thats probably ur best bet... then u wont have to do anything but socket the PR4...
AC? surely you don't mean Alternating current or Air Conditioning...

·
Registered
248 Posts
ya, u can use the A/C output on the ECU for Vtec with a certain bin, but u only have one map set sadly...

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
AC as in the output normally used for controlling the AC compressor/condensor? Cuz I sorta need that for my Air Conditioning.

Is there any other output on OBD0 that could be used instead?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
AC as in the output normally used for controlling the AC compressor/condensor? Cuz I sorta need that for my Air Conditioning.

Is there any other output on OBD0 that could be used instead?
you can also use the ps9(i think), which is an auto ecu. TE uses the auto trans output to engage vtec, that way you can keep your a/c

or just convert to obd1 and use a chipped p06 converted to vtec, and be able to use Crome

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, no seperate map for when your on the high cam.
Can't I just alter the map so that above the Vtec rpm the fuel and timing is adjusted accordingly? I'm a noob to tuning, I've no experience but i've read a good deal, so maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts