Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for service at honda because i have a loud rattling ticking noise. when i drive faster the sound gets faster. the sound is doo noticiable that people come up to me alll the time saying your engine doesnt sound right or you need to put more oil. first off i have enough oil. anyways honda told me that we tried to adjust the valves but my valves are mushroomed like on top and not straight and flat anymore so it cannot be adjusted right. they said they adjusted as much as they can. so anyways i got my car back and it still sounds the same and this time my car run worse. the car stalls some times when i put it back in neutral after driving. when i put in neutral the rpm's drop down looow then up a little then low again and stalls.

is this a valve problem causing all of this or is it spun rod bearings? cause im thinking of replacing my whole head.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
only one way to find out. start tearin it apart.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also if you can get ahold of a stethescope that could help better to find the where abouts.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Your valves probably werent adjusted correctly and you screwd up your valves. So it seems like you should replace the head or fix it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how many miles on your engine/head? I remember on my old d15b7, it had about 120,000 miles on it and i think alot of carbon built up inside of the combustion chambers. I was driving it one day and all of a sudden my car sputtered and some smoke came out the exhaust and everytime i would come to a complete stop, my car's idle speed would drop to about 500, almost lower and sputter back up to about 550, to 600 rpm. It lost alot of power and i couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. So eventually i broke down and tore the head off. Then i found out what was wrong. One of my exhaust valves had about 1/5th of itself that seemed to had dissintegrated (sp?). They were covered in carbon/oil deposits, but my intake valves were fine. So i bought 8 all new valves from honda, installed them, and used valve grinding compound to seat them.

When i was inspecting the old valves, they were worn on the edges and rounded. Valves just wear out after awhile, depending on the condition of the motor and how you drive it. I noticed after seating the new valves, they fit perfectly into the port holes and had nice sharp edges on them, they weren't all rounded off. After i re-installed the head and adjusted the valves, the car ran awesome. Seemed to pull better. I cant remember, but i probably re-seated my intake valves while i was in there too.

I know that you probably dont have nay broken valves like i had, but i just thought you would benefit from my story. It might not necessarily be anyone's fault, it might just be that your head could benefit from a valve job/new valves and another adjustment. Hope this helps. :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my head has 93,600 miles on it right now and all i did to it was clean it after i took it off at 90,000 miles this is what it looked like:

I was chizzling off sediments off the valves with a flat head screw driver and it was thick.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Spun bearings are more of a clanking than a ticking. If your valve stem tips are mushroomed, you'll have to saw them off to get them out. Sounds like a good time for some Manley valves.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lule said:
Spun bearings are more of a clanking than a ticking. If your valve stem tips are mushroomed, you'll have to saw them off to get them out. Sounds like a good time for some Manley valves.
it sounds like a clanking rattling.. but what explains the low compression? i installed new vitara pistons and SCAT rods.. after the install the compression read 125psi.. then 2,000 miles later still 125psi? wtf!? after installation of rods and pistons the noise got louder. but still low compression so it should be the head? the car stalls when i pop it in neutral sometimes.

·
Banned
752 Posts
I know the Vitara pistons are supposed to take down compression ratio to around 8.5:1 or so depending on which D-block you stuff them in. Does anyone know what that would manifest itself into regarding cylinder compression figures?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
everyone said that the compression check is supposed to be way higher than that. but im no burning oil or smoking so there is no piston damage. im guessin its got to be the head.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Normworldhero said:
I know the Vitara pistons are supposed to take down compression ratio to around 8.5:1 or so depending on which D-block you stuff them in. Does anyone know what that would manifest itself into regarding cylinder compression figures?
if this is true then your psi is right. 8.5:1 will produce low compression figures thus you can boost higher.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arachnid said:
if this is true then your psi is right. 8.5:1 will produce low compression figures thus you can boost higher.
the only way to find out is to have someone with vitara pistons say something. but alot of people in here are saying it should be higher.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Cam gear settings can make the compression vary wildly, if you have one.
I suspect the cam gear was installed at one time out of sync with the pistons and was run for some time like that. The valves are probably burnt or bent slightly.
The picture shows the #1 exhaust valves to have been on the hot side. I'd pull the head and at least break it down and do a thorough inspection while replacing the valves.
A leak-down test will confirm the valve theory.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lot of positive leads, but something to think about when trying to locate or trouble shoot a problem like this one, is that somewhat consistently a D will start to have problems around 200k. Worn main bearings, piston slap ect... You didn't say how many miles you had on your motor, but if you're near that number there are a few things you should look at.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alilvietboi4u said:
my head has 93,600 miles on it right now and all i did to it was clean it after i took it off at 90,000 miles this is what it looked like:

I was chizzling off sediments off the valves with a flat head screw driver and it was thick.
I did say how much

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well guess what guys...i dont have engine problems no more cause well my car got jacked. well im d-series less. so thanks for all you guys info and comments and what not. goodbye :sadface: :sadface:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not at all, this is now an oportunity! You see, now you know a whole lot more than you used to and you need a car anyway. It is likely that your ex-car will be either parted or wrecked when (if) you get it back (airbags, headlights, dash, ets...) so now, you get a new -to you- cx and rip out the offending low octane heart and plant a beastly D in there with a proper plan from day one. Forget vitara pistons and B rods, drive the slow cx for a bit and save up for an exospeed screamer and smile, you get to pic a new color.

-------
yes, I know it sounds insensitive but it isnt lack of empathy, its the experience of having a red gorgeous cx thrashed within sight of my house by a sleepy driver at a driveway and -once it was hooked up to the tow truck!!!- by a 4runner who claimed he did not see either the red car or the tow truck!!! and then ....well, everyone knows...as Paul Harvey would say...the rest of the story!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts