Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chance to get a complete a6 short block thats disassembled for $20.
the problem is that the crx it was in hit a pole, then drove for about 5-10 miles with a cracked in half radiator. when i disassembled it i noticed that the rods, pistons and sump/oiling stuff was very yellow and the rods/piston assembleys were very gritty and frozen feeling when i swiveled the piston on the rod. i dont plan on using the pistons/rods but do you think the sleeves are still good? ill get it honed for sure,but i dont want to have it bored unless its not to expensive(i have no idea, lmk). o, and the motor wouldnt start after it was shut off, it sounded like it had zero compression. i dont know if it was the rings or what. id appreciate help asap, i want to get this going if its worth it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
For $20 Id grab it, worst case is it needs to be decked and bored, about a $100 and a good idea before any build.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is decking and boring only around $100? if so ill get it.
so the machinist will tell me if it needs decked and bored right? is there any way i can check myself? i dont really trust anyone to "tell me" somthing needs done when its them im giving money to.

·
Registered
see my car lol
81 Posts
For $20 Id grab it, worst case is it needs to be decked and bored, about a $100 and a good idea before any build.
+1 ;)
since it was run really hot, and since you're already getting new pistons (i assuming cause you said you're not using the old pistons or rods) it doesnt cost anymore for over sized ones.
and generally boring is pretty cheap! around here, i pay $15 per cyl.( $60 for a 4 cyl. ), and about $75 to deck the block.
deff. a good idea for any engine build! (if ya wanna do it right!) ;)
also, you didnt really say what kind of motor you're planning on building, but if you're planning on anything that's making pretty good HP, then you should go ahead and have your block saver inastalled before you get the block decked, because they'll have to deck it again if you have it installed later. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to fill the block with devcon liquid aluminum, and i should do this and notch the block for rod clearance before i send it to be machined correct? by the way im building it for around 300hp on 15-20 psi. i was going to use vitara pistons but if im going to bore it what should i use? my machinist said $55 to deck the block, is this really neccesary? i need to save money where ever i can.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
filling the block is not necessary. creates a hot spot in the top of the cylinder which helps predetonation. so you can save some money. since it was ran hot i would have the block resurfaced, not necessarily decked(although its the same process, resurfacing takes off minimal material) and also have the head resurfaced as they are most likely warped.
definatley buy it for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
well id stay away from that hmt block fill shit. its really not needed, and has been known to crack blocks.

if the block wasnt severly overheated then id say your prob ok, for 20$$ your fine if its shit. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCORE!! i got the short block for $10 cause the kid that sold it to me is an idiot, i handed him a 20 and he gave me change:) :) . then, and this is the good part, i found out that my best friends uncle is a retired machinist with a full machine shop in his backyard. i bought him a case of beer and we decked, bored, honed and notched my block. so i have a fully prepped d16 block ready for assembly sitting on a stand in my room and it cost me about $30.

·
Registered
see my car lol
81 Posts
SCORE!! i got the short block for $10 cause the kid that sold it to me is an idiot, i handed him a 20 and he gave me change:) :) . then, and this is the good part, i found out that my best friends uncle is a retired machinist with a full machine shop in his backyard. i bought him a case of beer and we decked, bored, honed and notched my block. so i have a fully prepped d16 block ready for assembly sitting on a stand in my room and it cost me about $30.
oh so ya already had your new pistons for him to size it to? that's cool. :)
sound's like a pretty cool deal!!!! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts

man, you are lucky !!!!!!!! :TU: ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts