Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, kinda weird problem. I drive a 93 si with a turbo d16z6. Was driving home yesterday and my battery light randomly flickered out of the blue. I didnt think anything of it and kept driving. About 4 mles later the light came back on, stayed on, and the car died. I pulled over, popped the hood and looked for any loose connections. Nothing I could see. I got back in the car and it fired right back up. I tried to drive more, and it did the same thing about a mile later. I started it back up and let it sit and idle for about 15 minutes. The battery light was on for about the first 5 minutes or so. After letting it idle, I made it home about 15 miles away. The light flickered once but the car didnt die. The only thing I noticed is it seems to flicker or turn on when I am accelerating, never when I am just cruising. I checked voltage at idle, stays right around 14.3v. I revved it and one time it spiked to like 16v but then after that it stayed around 14.3v. Got any ideas guys? Voltage regulator in alternator? Alternator seizing up? Something totally different??

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Hmm, If the alternator was not charging the battery would drain and the car would shut off but you wouldn't be able to start it again. 14.3v is perfect for idle but I'm wondering if the amperage is off. Voltage with no amperage = no bueno. You'll either need an amperage clamp for a digital multimeter or go to an autoparts store and use theirs. I suspect you need a new alternator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to Auto Zone. They claim to test the voltage regulator. Everything passed according to their tests. I have driven the car around 30 miles with absolutely no problems at all. Anyone have any other ideas? Could a belt be slipping under acceleration? No weird noises that I have noticed...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked over every ground, all seemed fine. I did notice the positive on the battery is SLIGHTLY loose, like it will wiggle but doesnt just fall off. I pulled it all the way off when the car was running and it didnt die. Do you guys think this slightly loose wire could be the reason it died?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts