Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 civic coupe ex and im wanting to turbo but I was talking to this mechanic about turboing my car and he said would blow up soon. Is it true because i dont want to do a swap bc i dont have the money to do so but I have friend who is selling a kit for a d16z6 cheap. If you can give me some info on this because i want a realible car but with power atleast 260 to the wheels. thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
260 to the wheels WILL blow a stock motor in short order. As far as blowing up soon, unless the car was abused it should last quite a bit longer. My A6 has 213,000 miles on it and still going strong....

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
yeah, 260 is pushing it hard.
around 200 for a z6 bottom end is a more realistic goal for reliability with a good tune.
youll probably want to do a compression test to get an idea of how healthy your motor is. good compression, good tune with fuel management on a turbo setup can be very reliable. maintenance becomes an issue just like any other car, but youll want to keep all of your fluids monitored more than a n/a car just because of the higher stress levels. and btw, go to another mechanic thats familiar with working on turboed civics. alot of people dont give a shit about civics because they dont know what theyre thinking about and think theyre too frail.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
76k miles?...You just finished the break in period and youre ready to whip it...lol

When i boosted my hatch it had around 65k miles

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
76k miles?...You just finished the break in period and youre ready to whip it...lol

When i boosted my hatch it had around 65k miles
LOL 76k break in period huh?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think im going to turbo it and should I lower the compression with some vitara pistons and eagle rods. Where would be the cheapest place to get this package. I saw some on ebay but dont know if they are the good ones or not.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
I think im going to turbo it and should I lower the compression with some vitara pistons and eagle rods. Where would be the cheapest place to get this package. I saw some on ebay but dont know if they are the good ones or not.
Talk to Fjt on here, he sells complete bottom end packages with vitaras and rods. As far as reliability on a turbo honda, your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. Like mentioned above, you'll be fine. I put a super charger on mine with over 100,000 on it and switched to turbo at around 150,000 on it and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
76,000 you got plenty left. besides thats the beauty of it d-series otors are a dime a dozen. if i had a gaRAGE I WOULD BE BUILDING another while im trying to blow up my current motor.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
shoot for 200 to the wheel - it won't blow the motor

then get an LSD and you'll have 200 to the wheels

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have had my motor boosted twice in the matter of a year and im sitting at 98k right now and it will be boosted again next summer with 100k+ miles on it... As long as the motor has been well maintained and your compression is good you should be fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you want 200+hp from a stock engine, go for it. If you want 300+hp then build your bottom end with FJT kits his selling. If your gonna build it yourself, just make sure you have another car or bus to get there and here.

·
Registered
301 Posts
150,000 miles on my D16a6 when I boosted it,now have 156,000 miles it makes 210 whp ALL stock except for the turbo,just get a GOOD tune and go for it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts