Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the time has come for me to start thinking about my turbo choice.
Is it worth the extra cash to go with a BB? Since the price is nearly double that of a regular turbo.

Goals: 250-300whp on a daily driver with weekend track use.

Ive narrowed it down to a GT28RS (Disco Potato) or a T3/T4 T04E 57Trim 0.63 a/r

I know that the GT will definitely spool faster, which leads to a bigger power band and more fun for daily driving. But how much of a difference is there?

It normally comes in a T25 housing, and it seems like you can also get a T3 housing which may make things easier when choosing a mani since many of the ones ive seen around have a T3 flange. Does it change the characteristics of the turbo if i change up the housings??

The Hatch is gonna be parked over the winter so im in no rush to get things done, since I wont see any bit of spring until about April! Its a sad truth that goes with living as far north as I do....:(

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
337 Posts
if your going for 250-300 whp i'd say gt28rs all the way, it's a great turbo for dd for the d16. and if you want to step on it, it rips hard with sick midrange power..... it's pricey tough, but imo worth it.....

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
IMO...No.
I'd actually go with a T3/T4 50 trim .63 A/R. Still spools fairly fast and will get you to your power goal easily...and then some.

Take the $600 you save and put towards more parts/manifolds/etc.

(EDIT NOTE: Not saying the Disco isn't a good turbo because it is, I just wouldn't purchase one in this scenario. I've only used it on a customer setup once)

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks guys!
heres a recent thread with some newer pics.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73960

so since its primarily my DD, im concerned about spool times, id like that pep around the city and that kick in the ass in the top end, seems like the GT can offer that, or am I wrong?? I really dont want a narrow powerband.

·
Registered
337 Posts
go rs, t3/t4 is a great turbo to but imo its more a dragstrip turbo, offering great power above 6000 rpm.... if you want big midrange torque, go with the rs hands down...

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm ya i was really gung ho for the hybrid turbo because of the price and potential. then my buddy had a RS which he swore by and he was boosting a on Y8. The idea of good midrange power is enticing! Of course money is an issue, that extra $600-700 can pay for my mani!

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
50 trim .63 A/R , stock rev limiter, 10 psi

Did a setup for sohcvtec91, .48A/R 50 trim 202/189tq @ 8psi (on a cast log mani)

You still have plenty of powerban.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
50 trim .63 A/R , stock rev limiter, 10 psi

Did a setup for sohcvtec91, .48A/R 50 trim 202/189tq @ 8psi (on a cast log mani)

You still have plenty of powerban.
oh that looks nice on only 10psi? would you have a chart for a 57 trim?? hmmmm you sir have definitely given me something to think about

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
my turbo is journal bearing. i used to rock a ball bearing. i dont notice a difference except price and bone was right about the rebuild thing.

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
my turbo is journal bearing. i used to rock a ball bearing. i dont notice a difference except price and bone was right about the rebuild thing.
why cant they be rebuilt?

i was reading on the Garrett website and they made this claim.
"In fact, many drag racers running Garrett ball bearing turbos have not needed to rebuild or replace their turbos for multiple seasons. Can you say that about your turbo?"

They also have a "BB service" program that gives you a discount on a new turbo but the discount isnt really all that special.
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/BB_service_program_May_2007.pdf

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you got a bb turbo and you hook up the waterlines, it would outlast any journal bearing turbo?? if not ,why did garret upgrade to the bb turbo's in the firstplace?? timeline is journal< bb for some reason??

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
bb just lets the shaft spin with less friction and that in turn allows for a faster spooling turbo as long as all things are the same (trim, AR, etc.)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts