Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been wondering for the past couple of days should I do an engine swap with my current car which is an EJ9 D14 and swap it to a B16A? Or shall I just buy an EK4? Which would you guys recommend in your opinions and or experiences?

·
Registered
650 Posts
It can be, if you think it's worth it. That's a very opinionated question, though.

You can boost it, instead. Up to you. Just figure out what you want to do, and do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's true, it's just there are so many parts for B16A's but not for my D14Z2, I don't know if there is another engine code that parts would fit mine if that makes sense?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you mean b18a/b all motor then yes I would understand. A z6 is rates about the same from the factory. A stock ls on boost with a small turbo and good tune is fun. Ppl make 300-350 on stock ls's on a regular basis. You need rods and vitaras to do that with a d. My advice is to find a deal weather its a b16 or z6.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I see :), so boost a B18?, I've seen around that however with a B16 the power range is better throughout more of the rpm range compared to a B18 being only good in the higher rpm range? True or false?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok I see :), so boost a B18?, I've seen around that however with a B16 the power range is better throughout more of the rpm range compared to a B18 being only good in the higher rpm range? True or false?
Thats probably due to the tranny. B16 tranny has smaller gear ratios so boost seems alot diffrent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh yes that's right I see:), so if I wanted the full b16a package would it save me money and just get an ek4 with the b16 standard of course and the tranny, whereas if I wanted to engine swap, I'd have to get the engine as well as transmission plus fitting?:O

·
Registered
72 Posts
B16 tranny= short gears good for all motor
Ls tranny=great tranny for nitrous not non vtec
GSR tranny= great for turbo and nitrous setups
:boink:
If i had a b series id run a B16 tranny with an Ls 5th to avoid the lousy 116 mph govern. If it was all motor that is.
Lsd it allways a plus but $$

·
Registered
207 Posts
B16 tranny= short gears good for all motor
Ls tranny=great tranny for nitrous not non vtec
GSR tranny= great for turbo and nitrous setups
:boink:
If i had a b series id run a B16 tranny with an Ls 5th to avoid the lousy 116 mph govern. If it was all motor that is.
Lsd it allways a plus but $$
^^ This. Ive got a B16 Hydro trans on my B18B swapped civic, and I love it, but 4000 revs to do 75mph sucks. I need an LS 5th gear.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I am impressed with my b16 swap compared to my a6 or my DOHC zc, however the a6 and zc both had way better bottom end torque.

If your going for a stock setup and plan on keeping it stock, get a b18b/c with a b16 tranny. Stock runs forever.

If your going to boost it, stay d-series. It will be cheaper, especially when you start breaking stuff.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We had done a K03 from a VW on a friends LS at 10PSI. 180 whp 190 TQ at 2200..

That was blast, but fell flat on it's face at 5.5k. First time we'd ever seen a honda motor with TQ higher than HP.

All depends on future plans, budget, expectations etc. We can give you 500 opinions, but you are really the one who will know the direction he wants or needs. Your call, your money and that's always the biggest factor.

I had a Z6 on boost for 5 years and beat the snot out of it the entire time with a VJ11 IHI. 200 WHP and fun as hell. Ran a 13.7 on streets.

·
Registered
Ek coupe
137 Posts
possibility is endless. anything can be worth doing in your mind. To some ppl its not worth building a d series and would swap to a more favorable b series,where as some ppl see its worth building a d series. b series swap is easy compared to other swaps plus doing a swap its cheaper then buying another car since your paying for the whole body and motor/tranny and all other things as to just buying motor/tranny. d16z6 or a d16y8 much cheaper swap then b series... in my opinion b series is all over priced... b18c type r are still priced around 3k-3.5k... where as for that money you can get a h22a type sh which has more hp then the type r does... this question is entirely optional to you as to what you want to do

·
Registered
650 Posts
That was blast, but fell flat on it's face at 5.5k. First time we'd ever seen a honda motor with TQ higher than HP.
Check out the A-series motors. All torquey, and the torque numbers are higher. They're from the old 80's accords. And you'll find that also with some high comp F series.

All depends how you build and tune. You can bore and stroke a D15 and get higher torque out of it.

It all depends what you want to do. You can swap in a stock motor, swap in a high compression or boosted motor, or you can boost or build up what you have. Just figure out what you want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts