Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to get an import night at a local track. We have a couple lsx 240's wanting to play along my buddies turbo 5.3 350z. Would you consider these to be imports now that they are domestic powered? Should they be allowed to run in an import class?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
From the rules I have read over the years, the engine has to be cast and manufactured "overseas" to be an import

Not the chassis, the 2JZ swapped Camaro would be allowed in the import class, but the 240s with the LS swap would not.

I should also say the info I am basing this on is over a decade old, and rules do change.
the best bet is to get a copy of the NHRA/IHRA rule book and see what their guidelines are.

From back in the day when import drag racing was young, Joe Morgan had a bit of a struggle to get the "Poisonous Pinto" in the import drags, since it had a Ford engine and a Ford chassis.
But due to the fact the engine was developed in Germany and was cast in Brazil, it qualified as an import.

But this was back in the mid to late 80's

so with all that said.....

Welcome to the 'tweener crowd!

Not fully import, not fully domestic
The beat down red headed step child of car enthusiasts.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
what about turbo chryslers with blocks cast in Saltillo, MX? or 5.2/5.9 magnums with blocks cast in Saltillo?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Depends on the promoter.

Per the STUPID rules Bogus posted, 1970's Maverick was allowed to run import class.

Inline six block was cast in Brasil.

He was a slow bracket racer and would win just about every year....but not THAT year. I knocked him out first round as no one wanted to line up against him.

IFO @ Trails a while ago, I took out the 21 sec. Geo Tracker who had won the past few years.

Not your average import racer :)

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
if i took my civic to muscle car days at our local track they aint letting me run so i say NO....

BUT like bone said IFO (even though i enjoy IFO) still lets american cars run. we had a few up at national trails this year again granted its just tes n tune but still.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I was talking about Import Days at Edgewater, the Maverick was a buddy of Dick's...and it was 10+ years ago....

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem isn't with hard to classify cars, it is with the vague class chosen. An entire class simply as "import" doesn't really mean much if you don't provide clear definitions.

Way I've always seen it done is to break it down based on displacement, power adders, tires, etc. You can never make everyone happy, but as long as every possible car can be grouped into a category, there isn't much they can complain about.

So in your case, rather than just saying that it is open to "imports", provide a list of manufacturers allowed, max engine displacement, how original the cars need to be, etc

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
if i took my civic to muscle car days at our local track they aint letting me run so i say NO....

BUT like bone said IFO (even though i enjoy IFO) still lets american cars run. we had a few up at national trails this year again granted its just tes n tune but still.
Only because you are too fast and look like a race car. Seem Fowee with the Brakleen IC piping might have skewed things.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
yea dick would let any of those run. should have been "sport compact days"

they actually had a import day on their schedule 2 weeks ago on a sunday but rained out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts