Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm picking up my new car on monday, i noticed that the intercooler and piping in the bumper was looking really poopy. I wanted to know if there is any harm in spray painting the intercooler? I was thinking of going black to give it that stealth look, or do you think it will just absorb more heat if i make it black? Thanks

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
It should be safe to paint the front of it with a couple light coats, but I wouldn't paint the back side.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
^^ yeah, you dont want to put it on too thick, might mess up the efficiency of the intercooler. Or take it out, strip it and polish it... It's pretty easy.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i was wondering the same thing with my IC also. i wanted the sort of sleeper look so i though i might paint it black, i also thought it would go nicely with the CF hood, tinited windows, and black wheels. I just dont think silver will look too good in my front bumber with everything else on my car being white/black.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i work in sheet metal, have the ability to do all that, but i think i'll just paint it. Anodizing is like a clear coat. its like wood polish, you can generally still see the metal, unless you go with black anodize. Im pretty sure its thinner then paint.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Anodizing is thinner than paint, and it is an insulator as the actual layer that forms on the aluminum is an oxide. Oxides always insulate thier base metals, which is why they work so well on prevent corrosion on aluminum.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Anodizing is thinner than paint, and it is an insulator as the actual layer that forms on the aluminum is an oxide. Oxides always insulate thier base metals, which is why they work so well on prevent corrosion on aluminum.
right on, thanks for correcting me. i wasnt sure what exactly it was...... :TU:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of guys I know have put a couple of LIGHT coats on the front of their intercooler's without any negative effects, so I say go for it, stealth look FTW!
Thanks for the info. I just want to do it because the previous owner cut the grill out so thats all you can see. I just want it to be a little more sutle.

·
Registered
629 Posts
use grill paint. it transfers heat.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im pretty sure that the only problem with painting it is if you create air blockage by putting too much on. If you just throw a couple light layers on you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts