Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Im new to the forum and I am excited about finding it because I have a non-v-tech D15B7 (think so. 92 DX Hatch 1.5L 16valves). I was told that I could make it v-tech by swapping a D16y8 head to my block. So I wanted to ask if this was true. Thanks

P.D.- I like mechanics but dont have the knowledge and im only 16 so I dont know so much about this stuff :( (Looking forward to study general and racing mechanics)

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
let me be the first to welcome you. And its V-tec :hammer:
funny, I thought was VTEC, no hyphen
Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's

Variable Valve timing and Electronic Lift Control

since you were a dick about it.

Wrong.

Edit: Sorry for getting off track there. Welcme to the site, please search, you would find out that not only the d16y8 head works but also the d16z6. What you're looking for is called a mini-me. when a d-series vtec head is placed on a non vtec d-series block.

P.S. Beater, props to you for knowing your shit. +rep for you.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies, anyways I will ask my cousin's husband, he has a Turboed 95 Hatch SOHC and he is a mechanic so he built his car and knows a lot, when its time to doing this I going after him for help

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
I have noticed some newer gen honda civics rollin around with what appears to be factory lower rocker badges that do read v-tec....but who knows if that's just some ricer bullshit iron on decal....lol btw, I only copied and pasted that vtec info from a google search...so who knows if that shit is the 'right' way to phrase it or not. All I do know is VTEC is spelled VTEC without the hyphen on my z6 valve cover....lol

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
well, I guess I should've just checked my usdm honda manual, which coincidentally says the exact same thing I previously stated...it is VTEC, not V-TEC, and it does stand for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. However, there is a VTEC-E which is on the d15z1's that come in the vx model civic...maybe that hypen is why everybody is so damn confused?lol

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Could be confused about i-VTEC also..hah. How about i-VTEC-E?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts