Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if something like this has been covered before. I couldn’t find a post about it. I’m the second owner of a 92 civic Si hatch with the stock motor. I’m 17 years old and just have done some basic modifications to my car. Full tanabe coilovers, Apexi ws2, skunk2 short shifter. I want to make my car faster. I have two ideas going right now. Have a b18b1 swapped into my car or buy a jdm single cam and rebuild that out of the car then drop it in. The only problem with that is that I have never done any engine building before. The most mechanical work I have done on my car is putting on an intake and changing the oil and breaks. Basically what I’m trying to ask is if someone with my credentials can buy a helms manual and get my hands dirty and build a fresh successful motor within a few months time? I have no idea how hard it is but I’m really leaning towards wanting to build my own motor because the experience would be great. But I really don’t want to try to do it to find that its impossible to do or just something that I try to do but it ends up not working and the problems never end.

What should I do?

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes its possible thats what i did but fair warning expect ure first motor to blow, mine lasted 4k miles of hard driving. good luck and happy building if u have any questions feel free to post

·
Registered
424 Posts
Get a Helms manual, NOT one of those cheap Chiltons ones. The Helms manuals are very clear and easy to understand. I would not waste the money on a JDM SOHC motor. Just pick up a used D16z6 motor and take your time to rebuild it. I would suggest you get some aftermarket rods and pistons and be sure to use OEM Honda seals and gaskets. Done right there is no reason your new motor shouldn't run for many years. My first motor I ever built is still running, and still handles 15PSI of boost:TU:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was thinking about it and a d16z6 would be easier to use. As far as the build goes I was thinking of using p29 pistons and getting some springs and retainers and a stage 2 cam. So can I order the p29 pistons at my local Honda dealer ship? As far as all the rebuild parts I need to get like the rings and what not should I get them from Honda as well? Is there a rebuild kit I can buy?

And for tools what am I going to need to get? Engine stands on craigslist are like 30 dollars but all I have for tools right now is this.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
if your b18 is fine just get a b16 trans and head have someone help you do a ls/vtec

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The b18b1 my friends neighbor got when he worked at an Acura dealership. Its really clean and has 70-80 thousand miles on it. But Its just the engine. I would need to get everything else for it to put it in. But yeah I would get a b16 transmission for it if I did use it. I would leave it stock for awhile though. I don’t know its a hard decision. I want either choice done by this summer. Its hard deciding which one is going to have the bigger pay off as in speed and reliability.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well its been awhile on this one. Ive decided to buy a full d16z6 swap that has 76,000 miles next week hopefully for $500.00. What tools am I going to need for this build?

·
Registered
93 celica
323 Posts
you're gonna need more tools than you posted in your pic.... buy like a full craftsman set or equivalent... and then ur gonna find yourself needing stuff along the way, so become familiar with a place that sells quality tools with some kind of a guarantee... like a tool for the piston rings, valve springs, etc etc what they call specialty tools. don't forget a multimeter. and basic safety stuff... oh yeah and a breaker bar or 2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im thinking im going to buy a rebuild kit and an Amkee valvetrain kit....im still unsure on the Akmee kit. Has anyone had bad experiance with that product?

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
keep your motor and boost it.
b18a and b18b are good motors to boost. they have the perfect comp ratio for boost, and the stock internals can handle 300 hp with a good tune.
jdm and ls vtak = slow. a boosted b18a or b whould rape them.
for the money boost gives you the most gains.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, torque wrench for sure. I don’t think im going for big power or else I would go turbo. And the second plus to me building the single is my parents are going to help with the funding on account that I will be learning something and doing actual work for something I want. Right now I want to make up some kind of check list of what im going to need.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Your gonna need a breaker bar too. If you did you suspension you'd probably needed one but i didnt see it in the picture. Good Luck.

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
I would say just get a good old D16Z6 and rebuild it. you should do good, just make sure to not half ass anything and do what the book says. oh, make sure you change the oil and filter after your first 500 miles then change it after the next 1000 miles, then just do it normaly after that. and dont use synth oil for your first oil fill on the rebuilt engine and for the first change at 500. just go to a honda dealer and use their regular oil (hondas oil is made by mobile). My first rebuild has over 11K on it and I am running a 12.3:1 compression ratio. It still pulls strong.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Although you already decided on the SOHC. A B18B is pretty easy to put in an EG. It was one of the first motor swaps I did. Just need axles, shift linkage, transmission and ECU (might have forgot a few smaller things, throddle cable perhaps?). The engine harness plugs right into the EG, it's the cleanest, easiest install ever. Either swap you do, the D16 or the B18B, you still have to drop the axles so might as well make the best of it.

The D16Z6 should be fun too though. Have fun either way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think rebuilding it myself will be a good experience. Hopefully I can get that motor next week and post up some pictures and keep you guys updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts