Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a D15B non vtec motor from a local guy cause he thought the timing belt skipped cause it stopped running. I later learned the screw fell out of the rotor when I took it apart no valve contact, cylinder walls are smooth no ring ridges at the top of the cylinders. But weird head bolts that have a reverse spiral shaft and composite gasket in a 94 engine.

If I inspect the bearings and they don't look heated or blemished and they plastigauge out ok is it alright to reuse them? As long as I do not mix them up of course.

Engine was a ~35k mile import and the guy put about 10k miles on it. The head gasket might be aftermarket felpro it was not MLS. I plan on new T-Belt tensioner oil pump and water pump. With a z6 head/Y8 intake and Z6 exhaust Z6 trans super budget build. I have a total of $150 into the engine Z6 trans and Z6 head. Everything will be stripped spec'd and cleaned.

·
Canihazmoniez
683 Posts
Yea... you should be fine if they are in good condition and still within spec's. However everyone will tell you to change them anyway...

I may be making this up but I believe Danz reused his on his 10 sec build but don't quote me on that.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
If I inspect the bearings and they don't look heated or blemished and they plastigauge out ok is it alright to reuse them? As long as I do not mix them up of course.
Absolutely! I've rebuilt two different D-series and neither of them needed new bearings so I just reused mine.

You'll be fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yea... you should be fine if they are in good condition and still within spec's. However everyone will tell you to change them anyway...

I may be making this up but I believe Danz reused his on his 10 sec build but don't quote me on that.
I believe you're right. He also doesn't even check clearances from what I've read. Just throw em in and go!

Don't quote me either though!!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
haha you guys are spot on.

darin reused my old vitara bearings, made 480whp and ran a 10.5 @ 137mph

then when i split my sleeve, i reused those in the new motor and cracked a 10.9.

theres more to it than just throwing them in and going, but i dont mic the clearances on my bearings.

if the bearing is ok, theres nothing wrong with reusing it.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I see no point in replacing a 45000 mile oil pump either unless you have reason to suspect it.

If the rotor was loose check the dizzy turns easy as a bad dizzy bearing can cause it to heat up and soften the plastic around the screw allowing it to work loose. If it gets to tight it causes timing belts to break.

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
Lots of good info in this thread...I learned something to day :D

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I would use an OEM three layer metal gasket and new head bolts in this case.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would use an OEM three layer metal gasket and new head bolts in this case.
I like OEM but I get Cometics for free. Ill be picking up ARPs and checking everything to spec from the service manual.

I may port and shim the oil pump and clean the castings out of the head and clean the bowls. lap the valves and go to town.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
im not fan of this but if it works why fix it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If the rotor was loose check the dizzy turns easy as a bad dizzy bearing can cause it to heat up and soften the plastic around the screw allowing it to work loose. If it gets to tight it causes timing belts to break.
I did not know this. My rotor screw has backed out a few times in the past few years and the plastic gets all messed up. I will have to check the bearings. Given that the dizzy is the original one my car came with which now has close to 300K, I'm pretty sure they are ready to be replaced. Thanks for the info! rep for you.

Edit: I guess I must have repped you not to long ago. Its not letting me rep you.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I found out the hard way with 3 broken belts at successively shorter intervals MUCH shorter than recommended change intervals.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
the bolts you took out of that engine were tty bolts, they were used to help with the headgasket blowing issues the d15non vtec had also the composite gasket you removed was suppose to be there as thats what was used from the factory on the d15non vtec's well actually all the d15's with the exeption of the z1 which used a 3layer mls

1 - 16 of 16 Posts