Honda D Series Forum banner

Is dyno tune a must for a hondata boosted d

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  someone 
#1 ·
So every tuner around here is just stupid expensive. Im boosting my car Its a 96 civic cx with a d15b vtec swap.p28 ecu with the obd1 to 2 jumper harness... garret turbo internal wg with a 5lb spring. Hondata.v3 is on its way in the mail. I can chip it myself piece of cake . Is there anyway to tune this myself or is that too risky. Im hoping on keeping injectors fuel pump and everything stock should make less changes ti be had . Help appreciated!

#4 ·
LOL. I'm going to echo the above statements. Stock fuel injectors, and fuel pump are going to spell disaster for you. They literally will not flow enough fuel for the mystery "Garrett" turbocharger you have selected with internal waste gate. Is it a t25, or a GT28rs? Maybe a gt2871r? Either way. They are stock. Your peak power potential will be highly limited by them.

Will you be able to tune it?

Its highly doubtful if you don't understand the need for larger fuel injectors and a higher lph/gph fuel pump.

If you have the money to buy a Hondata S300 V3, surely you can pay a tuner the $300 to $500 he is going to want in order to dyno tune it, or even street tune it for you.

#6 ·
if you don't like the answers, don't ask the question. its your car, your money, your time. build it, blow it, repeat.

cheap
fast
reliable

PICK 2

#8 ·
Get a fuel pump, they aret much cost, cheap junk yard injectors (find a rdx in pick n pull for example) and a wide band. Load stock ignition maps and pull timing in boost. Grab a fuel map off another tune file that is close to your setup. Watch wideband and make fuel adjustments as need. Once you have fuel figured idle through WOT;
rent a dyno for an hour and make a detcan and adjust timing as needed. ( or do it in a safe place to do some WOT pulls with some load (hill or higher gear))

Simplest way to get it running ok without "a tune"

And if you went with crome and a chipped ecu over s300 the money saved would buy a fuel pump and new injectors

#9 ·
You can get really close w a street tune.

Like Evanguy said, start by dialing in the fuel across all driving conditions...that on its own will take a while. Then when the fuel is dialed in, you can use a det can during WOT pulls to add timing until you hear detonation and then pull back a degree or two.

I got my supercharged CRX real close before getting it on the dyno. There was very little to be gained on the dyno after street timing w the above method although I did find some power down low.

#12 ·
Unless you have a spare motor to burn up while you learn how to tune, I suggest paying someone proper to tune it if you boost it right away.

You could always get the full tuning setup and practice tuning the stock motor setup.

You can learn how to read datalogs, learn what settings do what, and significantly increase your chances of a successful turbo build if you plan on doing it all by yourself.

I personally have not blown a motor street tuning, but I also took a metric shit ton of baby steps while learning. I also stayed away from steep hills and high traffic areas until a baseline was done in a safe manner.

First and foremost, do NOT do any sort of tuning until the motor is fully warmed up, you will be fighting all the fuel trimming and enrichments. Get it running good enough that it doesnt hurt anything by dialing back ignition timing and adding a bit of fuel.

Once fully warmed up, dip your toes and strap yourself in.

If it matters at all to you, anything under a $1000 for a top to bottom dyno and street tune from a professional is a good price.

You are paying someone's labor time, dyno cost, any employee's paychecks, food, business utilities, software licenses, etc...

For someone to be trusted with a strange-to-them setup for 2-10 hours while they perfect the setup, a grand or less is more than worthwhile.

#14 ·
Tuning a car is potentially expensive but what's also potentially expensive is not tuning it. Either way you will end up paying out. You can tune it yourself but keep in mind it's difficult to get a solid tune on the street. Some good advice is posted above, consider what's being suggested. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.