Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just made a commitment to port my d16z6 head, add comp cam 59300, stiffer BC springs and a new custom IM.

My engine currently also has higher compression due to P29 pistons.

The question at hand is should I get an adjustable cam gear?

AEM one seems really expensive, and if I really need one is there a decent ebay one I could get?

Thanks!

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
I personally wouldn't run a setup with a different head or different cam without one.

Having the ability to ignore all the little marks and worry if you have the right gear or not is invaluable because you can ignore all that and degree a cam in like everyone else in the motorsports world does. Additionally, it gives you another tool when you get your motor tuned to adjust/increase HP potentially.

I bought a used blox on ebay . . . so it lasted a motor (or several who knows) before I bought it and now it's on the 2nd motor that I've had.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Yes. Due to the fact that the aftermarket cam is a completely different profile from the stock one the same orientation may not be optimal. As mentioned above it will allow you to dial in your cam to the best orientation for your setup ... instead of going the wing and a prayer route.

If you've already gone to the trouble of getting the cam, rebuilding the engine, and now going to get the head redone ... why would you balk at something like an adjustable cam gear? Compared to the rest of the pieces you mentioned it doesn't seem like it would be that much of an extra expense.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I do need a cam gear. Next question is which brand shall I pick.

I have heard so many AEM cam gears being BROKEN or failing, I almost want to go VMS or some other brand.

Could you guys point me in the right direction?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Old 3 bolt AEM, only company to market the correct Y7/Y8 cam gear as well.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Ok, so I do need a cam gear. Next question is which brand shall I pick.

I have heard so many AEM cam gears being BROKEN or failing, I almost want to go VMS or some other brand.

Could you guys point me in the right direction?
The AEM's broke because the design is hot garbage.

If they would spend the additional $5 per gear, it would probably be alright out of 7075 but instead that under cutting in 6061 is just too much.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,226 Posts
Yes. Due to the fact that the aftermarket cam is a completely different profile from the stock one
In the SOHC world, this is a tricky question. If this was about a ported B- or H-series head w/stage2+ cams, then YES. However adjustments rarely help with a mild-cam SOHC.

Degree the cam, if it's off then use a cam gear to move it where it should be. I've seen many b-series builds where 0/0 degrees for both cams was optimal, even if the cams were centered or off a few degrees.

The AEM's broke because the design is hot garbage.

If they would spend the additional $5 per gear, it would probably be alright out of 7075 but instead that under cutting in 6061 is just too much.
They don't even need a stronger material, just MORE material. The strongest forging in the world can't help but fail if there isn't enough reinforcement/material for the given load.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
They don't even need a stronger material, just MORE material. The strongest forging in the world can't help but fail if there isn't enough reinforcement/material for the given load.
7075-T651 has almost TWICE the tensile strength of 6061-T6.

Sorry but I've seen plenty of stuff live out of 7075 that was destroyed in 6061.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts