Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
my civic
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for an after market clutch such as stage 3 or 4 i know on there websites they always say to use with lightweight flywheel but why

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
i dont like lightweight flywheels, love the stock ones. but other people like the rpm's to go quick for quick shifting.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
If you want good gas mileage i hear heavier is better (more inertia cuz of more mass). I like the lightweight ones for performance, quicker revs, less rotating mass, feels like its accelerating faster cuz it revs quicker. Our D's are stroker motors in a way so id imagine the heavier flywheel is a better combo to help torque. But on a B series engine id want a light flywheel cuz it'd help in the high revs where its meant to make power spinning its azz off.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
For gas mileage I don't see how heavier would help. The CXs have lighter flywheels; about 3lbs lighter, than the other D-series(not sure about the VX though). A heavier flywheel would soak up more energy to spin at the same rpm as a lighter flywheel.

From my experience, the benefits of a heavier flywheel is driveability and launching.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
Stock flywheel will help with mpg cuz it stores more momentum at cruising speed. So at steady speeds you'd save more gas.

And you'd probably see better mpg with a lightweight flywheel where you do lots of stop and go driving.

A lightweight one is more fun. On a D engine id just get one thats not super light. Somewhere around 8.5-11 lbs

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
:werd:

If you're cruising, momentum and energy to store that momentum still comes from "the gas". An instance where a heavy flywheel would help would be in maintaining a set cruise speed; like driving through slightly hilly areas.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I'd go with a D15B8 (92-95 CX) flywheel if I had to do it over again. It's really light for OEM.

·
Registered
my civic
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have a clutch masterr lf n my car but on my buddies vitura build we wanted a bigger clutch and all sites tel u to use with lf and I didn't know if it was needed but thanks guys for the help

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,422 Posts
Well I have a clutch masterr lf n my car but on my buddies vitura build we wanted a bigger clutch and all sites tel u to use with lf and I didn't know if it was needed but thanks guys for the help
translator please!

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
hell, i got a 6.7Lb. flywheel now. I have zero problems with launching, driveability or mpg's...weird? And i have had the same clutch with this flywheel for the better part of 4+ years now. Still holds strong.

Its all on what the car will be built for, whether its a n/a build or turbo, auto-x or drag or even a DD.

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
well ive drivin my stock 18lb flywheel on my 95 civic and then drivin an 89 si crx with a 7lb fidanza. both grabbed really well for me. of course the 7lb was on a built motor with a stage 3 6puck sprung clutch and so it grabbed like crazy but either way i would say buy a light OEM flywheel like the z1 which is 13lbs. right in the middle, so it would more than likely be very versatile and be good with any kind of build, NA, boosted etc etc.

also, i wouldnt get an aluminum one, fuck that. high heat + aluminum = warpage! STEEL FTW

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
I have a 7lb flywheel too(I'm actually looking into purchasing a twin-disc clutch that should help reduce rotational inertia also)! I can tell you, it's not as forgiving as a 18lb flywheel. My brother can drive it just fine, but the room for error is much less(much easier to bog), and it's harder to start as smooth as a heavier flywheel setup. Though, when I had a 7lb flywheel on my Accord...it didn't make much of a difference.

As for launching, this has been discussed before so I won't go into that.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
hell, i got a 6.7Lb. flywheel now. I have zero problems with launching, driveability or mpg's...weird? And i have had the same clutch with this flywheel for the better part of 4+ years now. Still holds strong.
This. I got used to my 11lb flywheel quick, don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Lighter flywheel = less rotating inertia
Which means that you will accelerate faster.

Lightening the driveline at any point (Flywheel, driveshaft, axles, wheels, etc.) has a much bigger improvement in the acceleration characteristics of the car than it would if you took that weight off of the chassis.

Its supposed to be roughly a simulated gain of 2 hp for every pound taken off of the driveline at engine speed (i.e. the flywheel, clutch, crankshaft, crank pulley) and a simulated gain of 0.5 hp per pound at axle speed (i.e. axles, wheels, tires, lug nuts).
As opposed to a simulated gain of 0.15 hp gained for every pound taken off the chassis.

That being said, there could be some situations where a heavier flywheel is needed, like in drag racing. Or possibly helping staying in boost while shifting with a really big turbo.
Im not a drag racer so I dont know.

But on a track car, the lighter the better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts