Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Newbie here from the Emerald isle. I am in the middle of building/restoring a very horribly rusty ej2.
About to throw a d16w7 in her maybe.
Feast your eyes on my pics.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,100 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When nasty old men do bad diy repairs 😭

Looks like I'll be ordering a d16w7 though.
Going boost, these seem to be between 9.9/1 and 10.5/1 CR depending on where you find your info so coukd be fun 😁

It has not dizzy though 🤔 its distributorless so dunno how that works with hondata?

·
4,100 Posts
hondata can run coil on plug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hondata can run coil on plug
I know it does with the distributor conversion but the D16w7 has a cam and crank position sensor(no dizzy) . Would it be a case of wiring those outputs to the ecu without purchasing the COP kit from hondata

·
4,100 Posts
the kpro would, but since youre using the obd1 harness, you might have to shoot them a message and ask.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
362 Posts
Isnt that a D17?

The EGR valve on the side, the wrap around aluminum timing belt side mounting point, the intake manifold, the tstat housing around front... sure looks like a D17, could be wrong though!

Maybe it's a destroked D17 built for the euro market?

What engine is currently in the civic, because I spy a distributor in those first pictures?

Trying to transplant that Coil On Plug engine into your car shown in the pictures at the beginning of this post will be a LOT of work. Engine mounting points are different, your current car trans might not not bolt up to that COP engine bell housing bolt pattern, wiring and ECU considerations, etc.

Just did some wikipedia'ing and the D16W7 series are based on the D17. Totally different engine to what you have in your current car, even though it's called a "D16". That thing visually is the D17 in USA, looks like euro spec'd versions of it got destroked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah shit back the drawing board so 😅
D15b7 in mine at the minute.
Honda sold the first gen hrv in Ireland with a version of the d16y8 (d16w4 and 5),also sold in the 5 door hatchback euro civic.

I can get my hands one for 50 euro but the belt has snapped previously, it might be worth pulling the head off that to make sure it's okay and start from there.

I'd love a d16z6 but they are scarce here.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
362 Posts
Ah shit back the drawing board so 😅
D15b7 in mine at the minute.
Honda sold the first gen hrv in Ireland with a version of the d16y8 (d16w4 and 5),also sold in the 5 door hatchback euro civic.

I can get my hands one for 50 euro but the belt has snapped previously, it might be worth pulling the head off that to make sure it's okay and start from there.

I'd love a d16z6 but they are scarce here.
Something like that would be a much better starting point, as it will drop in the engine bay with no modifications. Then you can simply use the OBD1 intake you have, with preexisting sensors and harnesses and get a modded OBD1 ECU to support all your boost needs.

It's typically 50/50 chance if the belt snaps, but I've honestly seen a lot of those engines get lucky when the belt breaks with no internal damage. Would there be any way for the seller to let you inspect before purchasing? If he would put a borescope into the cylinders through the spark plug holes and you dont see any carnage to the spark plug, piston top or the cylinder walls, 50 euro would be a decent buy. Then just refresh it or install your parts for turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something like that would be a much better starting point, as it will drop in the engine bay with no modifications. Then you can simply use the OBD1 intake you have, with preexisting sensors and harnesses and get a modded OBD1 ECU to support all your boost needs.

It's typically 50/50 chance if the belt snaps, but I've honestly seen a lot of those engines get lucky when the belt breaks with no internal damage. Would there be any way for the seller to let you inspect before purchasing? If he would put a borescope into the cylinders through the spark plug holes and you dont see any carnage to the spark plug, piston top or the cylinder walls, 50 euro would be a decent buy. Then just refresh it or install your parts for turbo.
He's being cool about he said i can drop the sump to check the crank too.
I drive a crz and plan to take it home in that (i know i know) so I'll have to whip the head off anyways for space.

As long as a valve hasn't come apart and destroyed the head/pistons I'll likely just refresh it and throw a big td04 on it for cheap funs ❤

Pending rust repair 😅

·
4,100 Posts
lol, that's why I said kpro would run the d17. wonder if he could get a kpro rsx ecu, get a jumper harness....like they do for kswaps into eg's, and be ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts