Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'09 370Z
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, DSO!

I'm Nick. I'll be picking up a '94 CX hatch in the next few weeks from an old friend, so I decided to go ahead and make an account for future use to document everything.

So a little about myself: I used to have a '97 EX coupe with a TON of issues, eventually got tired of the problems and traded it in for a 2006 350Z. Had the 350Z for 2 years and traded it in for the 370Z I have now. Between driving it 50 miles a day to and from work, different Z club events and track days, I've been racking up the miles (it's gotten an extra 20k miles since I bought it in march 2016), which has led me to look for something cheaper to run so I can save the Z from becoming a ridiculously high mileage car.

A few weeks ago I found out that one of my old friends was selling his EG hatch due to some unfortunate circumstances, so I decided that I'd take it off his hands. I've wanted an EG for a while and I know he hasn't abused the hell out of it, and has kept it almost completely stock. It's a 250k mile car so it has its share of issues, but I know that with some TLC it has the potential to be a perfect daily driver.

A basic layout of my plans for it:

Brakes - They're currently terrible and I'm a little scared to drive it until I get that fixed. I would like to eventually do a full Integra disc brake conversion because I have zero experience with drums (and honestly, discs look a million times better).
Suspension - I want to lower the car a little bit just to get a more aggressive look to it. Definitely don't want it slammed/dumped, I just want to get rid of the stock 4x4 look.
Wheels - Again, no crazy fitment/tire stretch or anything, just a nice clean look. Thinking about some 15x7s with 205/50 tires. Will have to research wheel fitment to find out what offset I need to look for.
Engine - the stock D15B8 burns oil, so I'll either end up rebuilding the bottom end and doing a mini-me, or swapping in a Z6 or Y8. I don't need the car to be fast since it's just going to be my daily driver, but I would like a little more pep when I press the gas pedal.
Other - small things such as a gauge cluster swap (I don't know how people drive manual without a tachometer), window tint, short throw shifter, fog lights, rain guards, maybe a lip and duckbill spoiler, etc.

So that's about it, I'll post up some pics when I actually get some and figure out how to embed them in a comment (still very new to actual forums, all the local clubs that I'm a part of have dedicated Facebook groups). If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.

·
Registered
'09 370Z
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a specific number in mind, I'm basically going to piece it off little by little based on what's the most important at the time (brakes first, obviously). Most of my spare money is going to be spent taking my 370Z to the track as often as possible, so civic mods will be on the back burner. It will likely be a very long, slow build process.
To actually answer your question, though, I would expect to spend 4-5 grand to do everything I listed.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
what the hell - punctuation, legible sentences, a realistic plan, a generous budget for that plan?

amazing.

I'd recommend a Z6 swap, or even better, a B20 swap w/ an LS trans. It won't be the fastest thing ever, but the torquey B20 is a much nicer thing to commute in than any D series engine.

You should be able to do either in addition to everything else you want to do well within $4k. Parts for Hondas are dirt cheap compared to pretty much anything else out there.

·
Registered
'09 370Z
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, I'm glad that someone on here appreciates it. I tend to do a lot of research to avoid asking stupid questions. Also used to the Z world, where parts are ridiculously expensive so I tend to round up on prices.

I would prefer a B18/B20 for the extra torque, but since most of my money will go toward parts for the fun car, I feel like a D16 would at least be a step in the right direction. Any particular reason you'd recommend a Z6 over a Y8?

·
3,983 Posts
D16Y's have a habit of spinning rod bearings, there's a lot of conjecture over why (honda changed the rod journal drilling from cross to angled single, the oilpumps are slightly different, etc.) but they just have that reputation. The Z6 is a better platform to build, and if you get pulled into the turbo world, they have better intake manifolds, better heads, and the rocker assemblies seem to hold up better to aggressive cams (even though they're ostensibly the same) the Y8's have a different combustion chamber design that makes tuning much more sensitive to ignition timing versus the Z6.

·
3,983 Posts
the danger of course in wrenching on a 90's honda is that you'll start working on it more than your Z, from having a G35 previously and now an R32, I can confidently say nissans are muuuuuuch more tedious than a fwd Honda where everything is easy and accessible versus everything is hard and you need tiny hands and a million swivel joints to get to anything

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
the danger of course in wrenching on a 90's honda is that you'll start working on it more than your Z, from having a G35 previously and now an R32, I can confidently say nissans are muuuuuuch more tedious than a fwd Honda where everything is easy and accessible versus needing a lift to work on it
FTFY

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Welcome to the DSO fam, I like the direction this is going as well.

Post pics as soon as you can we likes to see dem whips. lol.

edit: For what it's worth, I dig both motors for different reasons. I have seen both y8 and z6 break the same rod journal bearing and bend and or throw said rods pieces out of both blocks. Both due to starvation of the farthest cylinder, a down fall of the stock oiling in general, keep it in mind while building.

To be honest an A6 build would yield some great numbers with a turbo, and the not so sought after motor can mean more extra blocks for the inevitable. Dont limit yourself based on bias of vtec or what not, I always thumb through builds and seek results, like on track times, time the build lasts and the such. Cost is later figured and things shaped form there, again, I like the way you are progressing and just wanted to chime in since you asked about motor types.

·
Registered
'09 370Z
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still waiting to pick up the civic; hopefully it won't be much longer. Really need a daily.

Unfortunately, I don't have a high enough post count to be able to link pics yet or I would at least post some Z pics in the meantime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts