Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted to try this out for quite some time but I can't find any info on anything local for the life of me. I live ~30ish minutes from Willow Springs Raceway and the only person I know that "races there" doesn't say much.

I've read through the how to auto cross thread but I want to get my feet wet. Been to the SCCA website, it gives me a link to my region (Cal Club) and when I try to check something out it says the link is dead. :bs:

I'd also like to know what equipment is needed just to start out.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
a snell approved helmet/closed toes shoes. and the eagerness to learn and have fun!
Just google auto-x in your area. should point you closer.

then you just gotta decide what class your car can run.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a snell approved helmet/closed toes shoes. and the eagerness to learn and have fun!
Just google auto-x in your area. should point you closer.

then you just gotta decide what class your car can run.
Full face helmet? Does it matter? I always wear closed toe shoes and I'm pretty eager to learn this.

I've tried that, gives me the same dead links.

Also I'll be using a stock 2000 Civic Si. Stock everything with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
talk to me maybe we can go together soon its cheap as hell also. im interested as well did you see the link i put up on the just racing forums read it its great. willow springs is holds hpde events not autox vary rare if they do. hpde is a bit more expensive like ranges from 200-close too 400 but the events are spaced far enough to save some money.

all autox events are held in fontana mostly and nationals at the el toro base in the OC so we have quite a driving distance not bad though.

register here read the rules and have a go on the forum as well.

California Sports Car Club - Solo - SCCA

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
i havent started yet but having a familiar face around would ease the stage fright a bit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
talk to me maybe we can go together soon its cheap as hell also. im interested as well did you see the link i put up on the just racing forums read it its great. willow springs is holds hpde events not autox vary rare if they do. hpde is a bit more expensive like ranges from 200-close too 400 but the events are spaced far enough to save some money.

all autox events are held in fontana mostly and nationals at the el toro base in the OC so we have quite a driving distance not bad though.

register here read the rules and have a go on the forum as well.

California Sports Car Club - Solo - SCCA
I'll sign up and everything, when is the next event? What's the cost and where can I get a helmet? I have almost no head room in my Si so I need to figure something out. :(
i havent started yet but having a familiar face around would ease the stage fright a bit.
For sure, lol.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
I'll sign up and everything, when is the next event? What's the cost and where can I get a helmet? I have almost no head room in my Si so I need to figure something out. :(

For sure, lol.
helmets are expensive i havent had luck finding some for my broke ass .they say you can barrow but that's nasty plus i doubt they have something for my big ass head lmao. oh yea i forgot your tall as shit hmmm there is a lot of websites just google it and try ebay. hmmmm cost is cheap around 25-30 speed ventures charges 80 but you get a shit load of runs compared to normal club ones. you know that in autocross you have to work while your waiting to be called hence why its cheap.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
helmets are expensive i havent had luck finding some for my broke ass .they say you can barrow but that's nasty plus i doubt they have something for my big ass head lmao. oh yea i forgot your tall as shit hmmm there is a lot of websites just google it and try ebay. hmmmm cost is cheap around 25-30 speed ventures charges 80 but you get a shit load of runs compared to normal club ones. you know that in autocross you have to work while your waiting to be called hence why its cheap.
Yeah I've read you pick up cones and shit when you're not racing, lol. I really don't want to buy a helmet, I'll rent one but I doubt they have my big ass head size too. My head rubs the ceiling in my Si so I'd need to get a lower seat or something. :pinch:

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Yeah I've read you pick up cones and shit when you're not racing, lol. I really don't want to buy a helmet, I'll rent one but I doubt they have my big ass head size too. My head rubs the ceiling in my Si so I'd need to get a lower seat or something. :pinch:
yup if thats the case then yeah i hit my head only on bumps lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yup if thats the case then yeah i hit my head only on bumps lol.
How can I make my seat lower? I've seen seat rails but they're for racing seats.

Nvm. Guess I need a new seat before I start... if I can barely fit in head in there I won't be able to get in with a helmet. lmao.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
How can I make my seat lower? I've seen seat rails but they're for racing seats.

Nvm. Guess I need a new seat before I start... if I can barely fit in head in there I won't be able to get in with a helmet. lmao.
yup that would be a problem then we are big so you would have limited seat choices. or swap stock seats find out which seats sit lower etc...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
damn im happy im on the short side. i have no problem clearing the roof of any of my cars.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
a full face is not needed.
make sure you read the rules closely as they have guidelines for seats.
I was gonna go this weekend but i gots to work. damn!
but next month its on! I'll have my new coilovers installed by then, maybe some new tires. and i gotta get a membership. fuck paying 50 bucks knock over cones!

i'd like a new seat as well. my ej seats have the bolstering abilities of a parkbench. and i want a harness.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Helmets - SummitRacing.com

$150 is a good price for a helmet. Remember it's there to protect you. How much is you head worth. I personally like closed face helmets. It's better for my my teeth. The snell 2010s aren't out yet so if you buy a 2005 it'll only be good until 2015. It might be better to try to borrow one until the 2010s come out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Helmets - SummitRacing.com

$150 is a good price for a helmet. Remember it's there to protect you. How much is you head worth. I personally like closed face helmets. It's better for my my teeth. The snell 2010s aren't out yet so if you buy a 2005 it'll only be good until 2015. It might be better to try to borrow one until the 2010s come out.
Word, thanks for the link. I don't mind buying a helmet but I'd rather borrow one until I know if I'm going to jump into it. Are those helmets approved for drag racing as well?

I really can't get into this until I solve my height issue, I need my seat 2-4 inches lower if possible.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Word, thanks for the link. I don't mind buying a helmet but I'd rather borrow one until I know if I'm going to jump into it. Are those helmets approved for drag racing as well?
yeah, they should be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts