Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while doing some reseach i really didn't come across this question maybe i didn't read hard enough so....
what the the pros and cons on this topic....

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
from what I understand, internal wastegate designs are inefficient at bleeding exhaust pressure from the turbine. You can get wierd phenomena where your boost pressure will spike because it couldn't drain enough exhaust pressure quickly enough. However, I think this is only a problem when you're running higher boost pressure than the stock spring is supposed to see (> 5-7psi)

C

·
0 Posts
internal gates are undersized and spike. the response is alos worse than a external.

unless a internl has a threaded rod, it is non adjustable,

you can have a more efficient downpipe if you do not utilize the stock cast, wg o2 housing piece found on many stock turbos.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like the internal for it's simplicy and reliability, o2 housings with a divorced wastegate help too. I'm actually considering running both on my RB25DET in the 240, because it will kinda give me a backup if one fails.

O

·
0 Posts
interjnals are ok for low boosting upto liek 10-12psi. but it needs to be a dam good turbo and the gate in perfect shape. otherwise external is much better.

internals are less expensive than externals, but again externals flow better, perform better and overall are a much better design. but if your only going to run 7psi then use an internal. if your looking for 15-18lbs get an external.

C

·
0 Posts
the operation of these internal gates isnt limited to psi. its limited by cfm you flow.
the more cfm you are trying to expell through the wastegate hole the harder it is to properly evacuate the gases and thats what causes boost spike,since theinternal gated hole is so small. internal gates are usually good for a 1-2 psi spike no matter what boost level you are running, from my personal experience.

·
Registered
95 Civic COUPE!
414 Posts
Siguy2 was running 26psi on an internaly gated 20g on his awd mitsu, without a problem, you need to have a good boost controler. And internaly gated turbos are usually mo,re expensive than ones that are externaly gated... once you buy a external WG you end up being aroun the same... I agree with the externals performing better though

C

·
0 Posts
which one, the deltagate or the evolution...

people say the deltagate creeps, but ive used 2 of them personally and they work fine,

also ive used one evolution and it also works well.

me personally, im a ssautochrome wastegate man my self

O

·
0 Posts
sohcturbo said:
Siguy2 was running 26psi on an internaly gated 20g on his awd mitsu, without a problem, you need to have a good boost controler. And internaly gated turbos are usually mo,re expensive than ones that are externaly gated... once you buy a external WG you end up being aroun the same... I agree with the externals performing better though
i'm sorry for him. as i psoted flow and pressure are 2 factors the excternal outdoes the internals in. also the internals tend to have issues with exhaust carbon buildup around the flatter opening thus causing seal loss. when this happens, you get spiking. externals have a valve style which doens;t have this issue often (unless it's a bad design or a really rich running motor all the time)

·
Registered
95 Civic COUPE!
414 Posts
oscarmayer said:
i'm sorry for him. as i psoted flow and pressure are 2 factors the excternal outdoes the internals in. also the internals tend to have issues with exhaust carbon buildup around the flatter opening thus causing seal loss. when this happens, you get spiking. externals have a valve style which doens;t have this issue often (unless it's a bad design or a really rich running motor all the time)

sohcturbo said:
I agree with the externals performing better though
Learn how to read

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
oscarmayer said:
also the internals tend to have issues with exhaust carbon buildup around the flatter opening thus causing seal loss.
I can vouch for this when I opened up the used t3 turbo to clean it. I had to remove a lot of carbon buildup around the flapper. nothing a wire brush and a dremel couldn't take care of though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Every turbo's we use for a custom turbo kit seems to overboost and shit... but the moment we add in an external wastegate its all solved..

What I believe is that it's the restriction on stock cars (which the turbo comes from) which keeps the boost in check.. maybe due to the small exhaust size, or an intake manifold restrictor, etc. etc...

But when we use it for our custom kits.. no restrictions are in place (straight flow and enlarged exhaust, atmosphere dumpipe, etc. etc. ) hence the overboosting..

(when i say we, I mean 5 cars consisting of civics, mivecs and others :p)

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
internal wastegates are effective at higher boost levels, and work well. for low boost, external is the way too go. some say external is the way to go regardless, but i've read in several books that external is best for low boost, internal is best for higher boost.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I prefer Internal wastegate I've seen many cars using external wastegate running like crap. I just don't like to mess around with that too much.

C

·
0 Posts
then why dont you EVER see any higher hp cars running internal gates.

alot of the larger turbos are recommended to use a external wastegate

1 - 20 of 23 Posts