Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i was looking for some basic info on what some of you guys are running. i figured i would reference to this closed thread since it's not that old......

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/153472-best-turbo-d16y8-piston-rod-combo-2.html

if my turbo build ever gets moving (starting is the hardest) i will be using Wiseco pistons. never EVER heard a complaint about these with any auto manufacturer (Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, Honda, and others).

my QUESTION IS.... drum roll please.... rods; which are strong and LIGHTER weight? a comment made me wonder about weight of the rods when the modified LS rods were mentioned. lighter rods are more efficient, less rotating mass, less stress, blah blah blah. i'm looking for strong and light rods. strength/ weight is obviously give/ take and a huge factor when cost is considered. what's the best for a reasonable price?.... hope this isn't a dumb question. thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to my understanding I-beam rods are cheaper, lighter, and not as strong as an H-beam rod. Eagle seems to be popular (any other?). how much power can the I-beam rods take?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First things first...

Establish a power goal and go from there.

If you want vitara's I'd recommend the custom I beams. H beams will be necessary for forged.
thank you for the great info. can you please tell me why h-beam's are necessary for the wiseco pistons? just want to understand all this...

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
thank you for the great info. can you please tell me why h-beam's are necessary for the wiseco pistons? just want to understand all this...
usually the i beams are the custom length ones for vitara's

if you want anything under 450whp get a vitara setup. cant beat the price.
and the vitara build has been proven time after time

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
if you want anything under 450whp get a vitara setup. cant beat the price.
and the vitara build has been proven time after time
+1 save money!! When I install Vitaras in my z6 I intend to max out my 3bar map :-D

·
Registered
431 Posts
cheaper setup= vitara/fj rods better setup= eagle hbeams/wiseco. I always prefer the Hbeams, you want your rods as strong as possible, they are always the weak link in a boosted honda. you will see better throttle response with a lightweight flywheel than lightweight rods.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
cheaper setup= vitara/fj rods better setup= eagle hbeams/wiseco. I always prefer the Hbeams, you want your rods as strong as possible, they are always the weak link in a boosted honda. you will see better throttle response with a lightweight flywheel than lightweight rods.
i partly agree. the vitara fjt combo will support enough power to where to sleeves start to fail. but chances are most people arent looking to make that much power. most want some low end power and turbos that make that power dont have much low end for a street car.
but the forged pistons can take more detonation and have a bigger margian for error as the cast vitara's do not.

wiseco pistons will be safer but will cost you roughly $400 more then vitara's

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
The cracking thing is getting over exaggerated and a bit old. All of the sudden all vitaras are junk pistons and asplodeZ!!!
Both sets of vitara's i had, in 2 different motors, were cracked in the same places. Different tune on the 2 different sets. there is a reason its becoming more common

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
I understand that with the increased demand the quality may have decreased but I'm not here to argue that, my issue is the recent mentality of implying that all vitara's will crack and at which you never see anyone mention @ what power range this occurs.

It just sorta feels like one of those bandwagons everyone is always dying to jump on, to me at least.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
Both sets of vitara's i had, in 2 different motors, were cracked in the same places. Different tune on the 2 different sets. there is a reason its becoming more common
Ya, but wasn't the common factor in your and your buddy's engine failures the tuner???

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I understand that with the increased demand the quality may have decreased but I'm not here to argue that, my issue is the recent mentality of implying that all vitara's will crack and at which you never see anyone mention @ what power range this occurs.

It just sorta feels like one of those bandwagons everyone is always dying to jump on, to me at least.
the cracking doesnt happen once you hit X hp. i think its a combination of high RPM and torque.

and its impossible to make big power on a D without RPM. therefore i cant really see any use for the vitara piston.

keep it under 8000rpm and keep the torque to 300ftlb or less and i think they will hold up pretty well.... but dont expect to hit 10s too easily like that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i think the only other piston i'd go for, and only if the price was drastically lower, would be CP pistons. but i've been seeing Wiseco pistons for low/mid 400's and i haven't seen CP's under 500. haven't looked too terribly hard though. suggestions are where to buy? deals?

i was looking more for info on the rods. Eagle H-beams seem to be tried and true.

clutch/ lightweight flywheel will most likely be ACT.... unless anyone has a better suggestion. wanted to save this for after i did more research on it, but what clutch will hold the power best with still being streetable?

edit on the clutch comment- i guess i need to talk to Mike at LSD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts