Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im making a homemade turbo kit and was wondering what is better and cheaper? Internal wastegate doesnt require extra dump pipes, external do require and need extra piping plus an additional wg... correct me if im wrong... thanks guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
Internal would be cheaper but the wastegate actuator on most from what i understand only hold up to around 12psi or so external can be put to more depending on the spring you have.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
external wastegate is less prone to boost spike/creep

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went external from the start. Better IMO if you want to run a boost controller or just up the boost later on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so internal wastegate is set by orininal manufacture and you cant change it? like for example, im looking at an Used eclipse turbo with internal wastegate set at 7 psi...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Im doing 20lbs on a internal which was supose to be made out to 7lbs only and it don't hold good when you want to up the boost.

·
Shoot me!
6,890 Posts
hey guys, im making a homemade turbo kit and was wondering what is better and cheaper? Internal wastegate doesnt require extra dump pipes, external do require and need extra piping plus an additional wg... correct me if im wrong... thanks guys
Do you have a built block or are you gonna be running on a stock block? external is more responsive and i would run that pipeing wise just run it atmospheric a good external wg cost $ but a dump tube will run ya like $30. It all depends on your setup if your gonna run low boost under 8psi dont even bother with a external just get a good boost controller and run internal.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Do you have a built block or are you gonna be running on a stock block? external is more responsive and i would run that pipeing wise just run it atmospheric a good external wg cost $ but a dump tube will run ya like $30. It all depends on your setup if your gonna run low boost under 8psi dont even bother with a external just get a good boost controller and run internal.
yeah if your not looking for crazy horsepower (which your not going to get with a dsm turbo) than internal is fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah if your not looking for crazy horsepower (which your not going to get with a dsm turbo) than internal is fine.
My mitsubishi internal wg turbo boosts 15psi no problem and has lots of adjustment left on the wg:biggrin: Should be goin to the dyno in the next few weeks for a tune and probably a little more boost

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the replies guys... Im goona start from a stock block and not going to run more than 10 psi... Just looking for a cheap and reliable dd.. Thanks again.. im prolly gonna go for internal

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was told by my friends that internal with a boost controller is good enough to take care of any boost lag/spike, but some of what they've said directly contradicts my research on this forum. Both turbos (T3-own and GT28-buying) have internal wastegates, so at least I'll start with the option of running internal. I'm not worrying too much about it until I get to that point in my build.

·
Shoot me!
6,890 Posts
I was told by my friends that internal with a boost controller is good enough to take care of any boost lag/spike, but some of what they've said directly contradicts my research on this forum. Both turbos (T3-own and GT28-buying) have internal wastegates, so at least I'll start with the option of running internal. I'm not worrying too much about it until I get to that point in my build.
Alot of the 240 guys run the gt28's internally gated at 20psi with no problems. I know the greddy internal wastegates suck. HKS makes a nice upgraded internal wastegate no spiking all over the fucken place and holds boost great.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
im able to reliably push my teo4h to 15psi on the internal gate. its rock solid to about 12psi then its a bit of a surge/spike game after that.

id go external if you have the option now. better overall. well worth the extra few hundred bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts