Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I'm going to finally do a auto to manual swap and in the process I'm doing the engine swap. Keep flipping back and forth with the b16a and the D15B. I'm looking for around 200+/- (to start) at the wheels and know it's possible with the D15 and boosted. I'm edging towards the D15B since its like half the money for the engine and tranny and the rest of the money can go towards the turbo.

My question is what is the love for the D15B when it comes to internals and such. I'm definitely going swap the internals but is there enough products out there when it comes to clutches, pistons, rods etc? I'm going to run hondata and abaccus racing here in VABeach is a bonafied tuner so that side of the house should be square. I don't want to get the thing and then can't find anything for it.

I'm searching the usual sites, just wondering if anyone knows some "shadetree" sites that are not as well know.

Also, since I'm going from a 96 D16Y8 auto to a 92-95 JDM manual, can anyone recommend what axles to use since I figure I'll need new ones since the 5speed tranny is smaller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my d16y8 has cp 9.0:1 pistons, pauter rods, cometics headgasket, aebs 9.0mm closed deck sleeves, all brand new oem honda bearings and seals, porter valvetrain, and some other stuff i'm missing out...haven't put the motor in the car yet so i have no clue on how it runs lol

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
as of right now, nobody makes pistons for the d15b. you can have places custom make them for you, but it will cost a little more than the off the shelf ones.

rods are the same as 1.6 rods, so any 1.6 Eagles, Crowers, Tuner Toys, etc. will work

·
Registered
479 Posts
jitterbug said:
i just sourced a d15bjdm came with an automatic flywheel any suggestions on a new one
oh yeah and its v-tech

That would be a torque converter. well do u have an automatic tranny or manual? if u have an automatic I would just reuse the one it came with, it should work. but to double check that you'll need to post that in the tranny section.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hondalover22 said:
That would be a torque converter. well do u have an automatic tranny or manual? if u have an automatic I would just reuse the one it came with, it should work. but to double check that you'll need to post that in the tranny section.
On double edit (of my previous post):

If the car is a 92-95 Civic, the automatic tranny will bolt right into the JDM D15B without a hitch.

The catch? If the car is older, then a 92-95 civic auto tranny is needed. Jump on Ebay and you'll find a few shops that sell auto trannys for the JDM D15B Vtec - cheap (because no one buys them...except me :D ).

In either case, swap the engine, swap the ECU (if the car is not an EX or Si). If the car is a Base Civic or Civic DX/LX, those ECUs can't handle VTEC.

Or, swap to a 5-speed manual and buy a Civic EX or Civic Si 5-speed tranny. DX/LX trannys won't bolt on to VTEC engines.

Untuned SH4

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Untuned_SH4 said:
. DX/LX trannys won't bolt on to VTEC engines.
idk who told you that.....they bolt up just as easily as the si trannys
also check with endyn about custom rollerwave pistons for the d15b

·
Registered
54 Posts
SilentWrath* said:
idk who told you that.....they bolt up just as easily as the si trannys
also check with endyn about custom rollerwave pistons for the d15b
The shop that has been helping me with my swap gave me that bit of info - I know that there are conversion items for hydro trannys (I think that's what DX/LX manual trannys are) to allow them to run engines that require cable trannys - or is it vice versa? (Or is that with the Killer Bs?)

It's not an issue with the swap I'm doing (since I am doing a full OBD0 -to-OBD1 swap for my automatic) and I'm going on almost year-old info, so I could be wrong. I admit to being a neophyte at swaps and have no problems whatsoever with being wrong about anything.

Untuned SH4

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
there are dx and lx cable trannys

·
Registered
512 Posts
Try here. Hope it helps.
www.importperformanceparts.net
Go to HP Engine Kits on the home page then select Honda and go to #7 on the list. If not they also offer custom parts too! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Eagle or Tunertoy rods and Vitara pistons will fit. The pistons may be a tad "loose" but if you do not need a deep hone you will be fine. They will hold up to boost much better and support 300+whp due to the thicker ring lands.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
Bizzar said:
Eagle or Tunertoy rods and Vitara pistons will fit. The pistons may be a tad "loose" but if you do not need a deep hone you will be fine. They will hold up to boost much better and support 300+whp due to the thicker ring lands.
i could have sworn that in the other d15b thread, it said that Vitaras will NOT work...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts