Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it wasn't for intermittent problems working on motor vehicles would be so much easier.

I get a XG350 in. Customer complaint "brake" light on, did not specify abs or brake, and traction control light flashes.

has 2 left front wheel speed sensor codes in TCS and ABS modules. Also Throttle actuator limp mode something. Now was the throttle actuator control codes because of traction control going nuts???? Not going to find this info.

Test drive it's fine, no lights. okay, look for tsb's or recalls, do some research. view speed sensor on the scan tool and there all the same. Clear the codes and they don't come right back. Code doesn't come right back your usually in trouble. I run the car on the lift and sensor is producing a signal, try hitting the sensor, wiggle wires, etc. nothing. so it's like fuck. wiring checks to the sensor are fine.

I have no proof. What do you do, send the customer off and tell them to come back when it's acting up more. Charging them the shop time I have in it or sell them a speed sensor. I ordered a sensor.......

You can have active codes which means what the fault has occurred twice in drive cycles. It can still be intermittent when you get it.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Only mystery brake light encounter I ever had was when I worked at a Nissan dealer (service writer), mechanic said it was a bad master cylinder causing the light, I thought it didn't sound right but kind of had to take his word for it. Light persisted, customer went somewhere else, turned out it was a coin lodged in the parking brake lever (console mounted, unlike your current issue car), my boss ended up refunding the customer and letting them keep an $800 M/C. Needless to say, I didn't think very highly of our "veteran tech", I even questioned him in the line of "never ever heard of a mc causing an issue like that", he insisted, he was the tech, he'd been doing this for 15 years, blah blah blah...I'd only been there a month...

It's been 10 years since that happened, I still hate that dick

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only mystery brake light encounter I ever had was when I worked at a Nissan dealer (service writer), mechanic said it was a bad master cylinder causing the light, I thought it didn't sound right but kind of had to take his word for it. Light persisted, customer went somewhere else, turned out it was a coin lodged in the parking brake lever (console mounted, unlike your current issue car), my boss ended up refunding the customer and letting them keep an $800 M/C. Needless to say, I didn't think very highly of our "veteran tech", I even questioned him in the line of "never ever heard of a mc causing an issue like that", he insisted, he was the tech, he'd been doing this for 15 years, blah blah blah...I'd only been there a month...

It's been 10 years since that happened, I still hate that dick

You could have a bad sensor in the master. What happened to the parking brake and low brake fluid warning lamps being different colors.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
A bad master cylinder can cause brake lights all day.

If one of the channels fail, then the pressure differential between them triggers a pressure sensor in the braking system which throws the brake light on the dash.

So your veteran tech was right on the ball. Who would think to first check for coins jammed in the ebrake? haha that makes no sense.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
For $800 in parts/labor I'd expect the guy to see if it's a wiring issue first, especially wiring in a Nissan. I don't fix cars for a living, but I've heard of more than enough issues caused by worn wires. Think of a vibrating wire that runs 1/8" back & forth several times a minute, that's like it dragging on the ground your whole journey albeit at an average of 5-10 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts