Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some help identifying the problem with my transmission. I picked up a used S20 (92-95 ex/si) transmission with supposedly no problems and supposedly 80k miles to replace my s40 transmission in my 00 ex that had a grinding 3rd gear.

I put it in with a brand comp clutch, exedy flywheel, pilot bearing and throw out bearing. Take it for a drive and it has a really REALLY bad grinding/knocking/clunking sound. Transmission jobs aren't fun ever, so you can imagine my disappointment. The weird thing is, sometimes when I drive it its quiet, but only through 1 gear or a good way through the gear if I ride it out. I'll take off and it'll be quiet like it should be, and then I shift into second gear and there it is again. Or if I remain in first gear for a while it'll be quiet, but then just start making the noise.

Other than that hideous and embarrassing noise, the transmission works fine. It shifts fine through all gears, even at high RPMs. No grinding gears or anything. I can downshift, rev-match, and even heel-toe through corners and it works great. So i'm trying to narrow down the issue so I can buy the parts and fix it. I appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
ISB?

Rev it with the clutch engaged in neutral see if the noise appears or gets worse/louder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention that. When I press the clutch in, it goes away. Sometimes the noise is loud with the clutch out at idle in neutral, so i'll pump the clutch a few times and it goes away.

I have a feeling its the input shaft bearing, but i'm kind of thrown that when I press the clutch in it goes away. Today when driving to work I was in second gear cruising, and the noise went away. I was happy for about 8 seconds, then it came back :/

·
Registered
1992 si hb
48 Posts
just changed a buddy's transmission last week, it had all the same symptoms(shifts fine, no grind, no noise when clutch pushed in) and it was the isb. Too bad you didnt check it before putting it in. Good luck with fixing the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that info. I wish now I would have checked it out, and from now on when I do transmission jobs i'm going to replace that bearing no matter what. Lesson Learned!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts