Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up my turbo on a budget. I was woundering if it would be ok to run without an intercooler for a while? I have heard of people doing it but Im not to sure of the problems they may have run into.

thanks guys
Ken

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
/\ really depends on how much boost 4-6 but 6 is pushing it. my friend ran without a intercooler at 6 pounds now he has a block with burnt cylinders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i ran without an intercooler for a while and did not run into any problems, as far as i know....mind you i was only boostin' at 6 psi and i'm not constantly boosting

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
krwtek1 said:
I am setting up my turbo on a budget. I was woundering if it would be ok to run without an intercooler for a while? I have heard of people doing it but Im not to sure of the problems they may have run into.

thanks guys
Ken
Detonation would be one problem. Maybe you could get away without one during the winter. But when it gets hot out I would finally get one.

Just be coservative with the tune. Run rich, 11.5 afrs in boost, and pull enough timing to keep it together

·
sub-sponsor
5,175 Posts
you dont need to run one and could probally get a way with it for a month or 2 but i wouldnt risk it. just wait till you have everything together than throw the turbo kit on but if you want one on that bad go to the junkyard pull a starion intercooler or a dsm sidemount

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to spend the extra bux and just get one. I gues here is not the place to go cheap.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
not to be a downer, but turbo and budget don't go too well together... It's fine to run without intercoolers at low boost levels. The greddy kit comes without and intercooler, and it is carb legal without and intercooler. Roots Superchargers also compress air without intercooling... Of course if you turn up the boost, then intercooling becomes necessary.

When building your setup be sure to PLAN FOR PROBLEMS AND HAVE ENOUGH MONEY SET ASIDE TO FIX THEM. Don't spend every last dollar on parts and wind up not being able to finish your projects due to little things missing.
I think it's a mistake that many people make where they get many parts but get discouraged once costs start skyrocketing...
Good luck

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
pelsise said:
I think it's a mistake that many people make where they get many parts but get discouraged once costs start skyrocketing...
Good luck
yep and it helps to have a beater also

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is true, plus the power gains from more boost and reduced IAT's will be pleasing to you the first time you boost :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
i went turbo 6psi street and 8psi for track with no intercooler and my car just fine..been running for 3months..not turbo now since i'm working on smoging my car again..

·
Registered
446 Posts
yea u can run without one but if it gets hott out then u might run into a problem, i mean u can pick up a fmic for prolly like 75-150 bucks on ebay and they sell piping as well for ur application so for around 200-250 bucks the extra insurance is worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts