Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a good intercooler capable for around 450-500hp.
is it better to have more depth or more height?
im with the decision between these sizes: 17.7 x 11.8 x 3 and a 22 x 7.8 x 3.5
(length x height x depth)

what do you think?

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
The longer the better for cooling. The shorter the distance air have to travel how better is is for spool up, so I would prefer deeper.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I would say if you are going to be able to expose all of the surface area go with taller. That would have a better cooling effect simply because you have more area exposed to the air initially. If bother intercoolers have the same volume, I don't see why one would take longer to spool than the other ... and I think you'd probably find more benefit to the more efficient cooling than what little extra spool you might gain.

Otherwise if you have limited space to expose the fins, go with the deeper one. Having fins that aren't in the air stream would probably decrease the efficiency of the cooling more than having to send the air a little further to get through it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why don't you do something like speed factory's back door intercooler radiator combo or just the intercooler I like the Combo because it tucks every thing out of the way

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
When it comes to an intercooler, if you really want to add surface area to increase cooling, try to avoid depth.

As air enters the intercooler core, it passes over fins, and takes away their heat. That heat is stored in the air. As the air moves over more and more fins, it gets warmer and does a worse job at carrying away the heat. So the thicker the core is, the more fins air has to move over, and the warmer the air is by the time it exits the back of the core.

Wider, and taller is the best. Then thicker, which is still better than nothing. Also consider a thicker core blocks more air flow to the heat exchangers behind it.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

Danz just dropped the mic...real world answers, for real.

/thread

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, FarmerD! That's the thing i wanted to hear!!
but what about a deep intercooler in front of the bumper inlet compared to a wide and tall intercooler where half of it sits behind the plastic bumper ?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
what he was getting at, is you want more surface area exosed to the fresh air, rather than more area exposed to "recycled" air

if you had a 6" by 12" core that was 4" thick, it would be matched or outclassed by a core that was 12" by 24" and 1" thick because so much more of the surface is initially encountering the nice fresh cool breeze, so to speak.

above example, both have 288^3 IN internal volume

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Thank you, FarmerD! That's the thing i wanted to hear!!
but what about a deep intercooler in front of the bumper inlet compared to a wide and tall intercooler where half of it sits behind the plastic bumper ?
Tall and wide as you can get exposed to airflow ... then go deep.

Anything that isn't exposed to airflow is going to very little to nothing to cool the air. It might even trap heat from the engine and other components and overall lower the efficiency of the intercooler vs going deeper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, so in this Case The Deeper intercooler Would be more efficient. But then I dont understand why many people install a 12" tall intercooler and the front bumper inlet is only 8" tall.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Surprising no one said this, buuuuuuut.

The IC core also plays a huge difference in cooling. That's why garret cores cost way more than an eBay one. Bigger isn't always better. It's the efficiency of the core and how dense the fins are.

·
Registered
93 DX
20 Posts
That is a pretty epic thread. Makes my head spin. Big take away is that for drag racing air to water is your best bet. No surprise really. Also relevant to this thread is the comments that evo guys find the greddy intercooler design to block to much airflow to the radiator.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The take away would be, if you can get the air to not even heat up to begin with, why restrict the intake path with an intercooler!

Alcohol is a great tool! If you ever wanted to give your head a shake, look up how much Ethanol is made up of Oxygen by weight. DAYUM! And it self cools the combustion chamber.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts