Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, is there any problems running the hard plastic type piping? only gonna boost like 6-8 psi. also what bov opens at 5 psi or lower? cause i cant really find any. all i find are like 7 or 8 and above.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
the piping will be fine. i ran radiator flex hose on my last setup haha. just make sure everything is sealed up tight.

for the bov, just pick up a dsm 1g bov. they open up just fine on low boost, they are cheap as hell to pick up and they actually sound pretty nice too. :p

·
Registered
162 Posts
ABS works well, I'm rocking it for the time being. It is a PITA to set the pipes up in this tiny ass engine bay (87 teg) so ABS was a good and easy way to get "working model." Now that I have it worked out, I can easily make the switch to metal pipes.

W

·
0 Posts
you can use a any bov just make sure you change the spring inside.

·
Registered
489 Posts
sorry to thread jack, but i want to keep my build super cheap. what is the cheaperst thing to use that will work right? looking pretty doesnt mean shit to me...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
sohc_sol said:
the piping will be fine. i ran radiator flex hose on my last setup haha. just make sure everything is sealed up tight.

for the bov, just pick up a dsm 1g bov. they open up just fine on low boost, they are cheap as hell to pick up and they actually sound pretty nice too. :p
when you say radiator flex hose...you mean the rubber hose?

·
Registered
66 Posts
SOHCpower said:
hey, is there any problems running the hard plastic type piping? only gonna boost like 6-8 psi. also what bov opens at 5 psi or lower? cause i cant really find any. all i find are like 7 or 8 and above.
only problem using hard plastic is that it may get too hot and melt. and as for the bov, any bov off of a stock car will work just fine. on my first turbo setup i used a bov off of a 1st gen ford probe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
PVC would work... I would just use radiator hose elbows and metal sections of exhaust pipe or something, you could probably get scraps for free at an exhaust shop. DSM's come stock with rubber and plastic IC pipes, so it wont melt unless its RIGHT on the exhaust or something.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i wasnt going to use pvc piping. was gonna use some other kind thats not a hard type plastic...

·
0 Posts
man now a days you can pick up a piping kit off ebay for probably as much as you would spend on the plastic stuff might have to cut some of it to fit like you want but it will be alot better for your setup in the long run if you gonna do it do it once and be done with it

·
Registered
489 Posts
not true. home depot has 10 ft pvc for 6.71/10 feet

·
Registered
23 Posts
wouldn't plastic be too soft to get a good seal?
My first turbo setup blow the pips off at only 8 PSI. I had to put allot of pressure on the clamps to stop the elbow from blowing off.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think you have a BOV confused with a wastegate, wastegates control boost levels, BOVs vent the air out of the charge pipes when the throttle is released.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not confused with the two, i just want to know if the bov will even open if the wastegate is set lower then the spring of the bov... say wastegate set to 5psi, and bov at 7, when throttle released, will the bov vent then? im just worried that it wont and then goes my throttle plate lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's nothing to worry about, alot of cars don't run a BOV at all, and BOVs open when they see vacuum, the boost in the pipes don't matter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our white Turbo Ew4 runs low 8 sec 1/8 miles @90 mph on pcv pipe.
actually it doesn`t heat the air in the charge pipe as much as a metal pipe
just keep it away from right around the turbo exhaust side.

ps. pipe it in with pvc then if you have melting probs take the pvc to your local exhaust shop have them copy it with metal like i did on my red 87 D15A3.

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts