Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if its a good idea to use a pipe spreader to put the lip on the tip of intercooler piping??

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
i was wondering if its a good idea to use a pipe spreader to put the lip on the tip of intercooler piping??
I was thinking of doing the same thing, if it can do it on exhaust piping why not. But you can make a beader quite easy or have someone do it for you for fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not boosting yet, but i remember hearing that couplings can slip off.

a pipe spreader on the tips are the only DIY way i can think of.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
We can bead roll your aluminum charge piping for you @ $5 per pipe (2 beads per pipe, 1 bead on each end).

A pipe spreader can potentially cause more harm than good considering youd be flaring the pipe at the very end to a size larger than the coupler and clamp.

·
Registered
165 Posts
if you dont want to ever blow IC piping us hairspray.

another thing we use to do is this

step 1.get crescent wrench
step 2.clamp it down on end of pipe
step 3.bend outwards
step 4.repeat around pipe

theres your bead for $0 and maybe 30 seconds

o and dont for get to use T-bolt clamps

·
Registered
207 Posts
Having no experience with boost as of yet, I would still think some good quality rubber couplers paired with t-bolt clamps would be sufficient. Would be much easier to do since the rubber has a little forgiveness to it.

Yet the thought of flaring it like exhaust piping would look really cool. Would be alot more work, but the end result would look awesome. I just wonder if vibration would become a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
some one who has experience with turbo piping, please answer my question, once you take proper measurement, cant we weld the inter cooler and turbo pipes? like from turbo to inter-cooler one pipe and then from inter-cooler to intake a second pipe. Wont it be more reliable since there are only 4 couples?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
The engine moves on the mounts but the inter cooler is fixed to the chassis.

Also the pipe and chassis change temperature relative to each other.

The rubber couplers help accomodate the movement and prevent fatigue cracks form forming.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
That vice grip idea is great! My boy had his pipe blow off because it did not have the bead on his pipe.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts