Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
rsx
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i did a quick search but i have to work today.. i have some 2'' piping at my house and i noticed that most guys run 2 1/2'' piping inside to inside..

my question is would switching to 2 1/2'' piping be any more sufficent? or will it not be much of a difference.. i plan to run the stock throttle body and the turbo is a pte entry level 50 trim turbo.. plan on making 300 ish horse power.. maybe 18-20 psi..? thanks fo the help. :bigok:

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I run 2inch hot side then 2.5 cold. Also on a small t25 around 200hp.
But for 300ish i would say match the intercooler inlet/outlet size. So at lest 2.5 cold, and 2.25 hot for 300ish hp.

Also remember bigger ic pipe is more to fill but small ic pipelimits flow.

·
Registered
rsx
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.. amd i get the larger diameter helps with the flow of air.. just sucks i have free piping and now i have to buy some lol..

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
The damn air is pressurized. 2 inches is plenty for your goal

and forget that 18-20 psi crap. PSI does NOT determine power for any turbo

·
Registered
rsx
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i know its about flow capabilities correct? but i threw the psi out there incase any one asked..

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
PSI isnt really necessary to mention unless a specific turbo is brought up. then we have a ballpark figure!

A 2inch pipe can flow some serious amounts of air if pressurized enough.

I like to think of the military equipment I get to work on. We have a VERY large V-8 diesel that exhausts to a medium sized turbo on each bank, that directly feeds into a HUGE supercharger. The motor makes over 700 horsepower and creates nearly 1500 lb-ft of torque.

The inlet size on that supercharger is 3 or 3.5 inches

That is a ton of air flowing into there with a 2 cycle 12 liter V8 pushing it.

Now do you really think 2 inches is going to be much of an issue?

Having too large of a diameter pipe can actually HURT power, as the pressurized air is filling the piping before flowing through it.

EDIT for the example above given for a 2 inch hotside and 2.5 inch cold side, REVERSE YOUR THOUGHT. the air is colder and condensed more, so a slightly smaller diameter will help on the cold side.

hotter, expanding, needing a larger pipe
colder, contracting, needing a smaller pipe

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
there is a point where trying to move that much air through the pipe will increase air speed until losses happen

cant say for sure when but at a point it will be a restriction

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
go autoworks probably does it for compatability reasons

the difference isnt going to be sufficient enough to worry.

pressurized air will still make its way to the power punch chamber! lol

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
another reason for the 2" hotside is its less volume to pressurize.

Less volume = better,quicker spool time.

Especially when u have a large FMIC that needs pressurizing as well. Less volume to pressurize, the quicker the spool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
smaller hot side is in order to get the hot air into the intercooler faster by being a lower volume. Allowing it to flow out into a larger volume allows for better flow I think. but that's only applicable if you have a larger TB and match ported intake.

It might also help by allowing for a slight pressure drop out of the intercooler or less of a pressure increase.

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
Let's not leave out the length of the pipes. If you are using a shorter pipe from the turbo to the IC, then not much is to matter. On my setup the Turbo to IC pipe is the shortest so I matched the inlet on the IC that way there is not too many transitions of geometric flow in such a small distance. The main thing to worry about on piping is mandrel bends, and the straightest possible route in the shortest distance possible.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Turbocharged phone.Com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
the volume difference betweent he 2" vs 3" hot side piping will take approx .0001 of a second for the turbo to fill.

not even noticeable.
You wouldn't think it would be BUT when I replaced my 2.5" piping with 3" piping, I was able to notice it. This on a 16G baby turbo to boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts