Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compressor wheel on my turbo shredded, as well as a piece of rubber. It all ended up in the hot side of the intercooler. Just looking for a sure fire way of cleaning all the debris out.

Things I've read about:
Flushing with water in the opposite direction of flow.
Filling with gas, capping and rocking back and forth.
Blasting it with brake cleaner.

I like the water idea, but think there should be a large volume flowing through in order to remove and lodged material. That's what I'm worried about, the pieces any cleaning might leave behind. Pieces that will become dislodged once there is a decent volume of air flowing through it.

Lmk what your thoughts are, I'm not stoked on the idea of buying a new intercooler. I may just try all of the above.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I would start with water, soapy water. The detergents will lift away debris. Warm water would work.

Start there, see how it works.

You could pour something like Acetone in there to dissolve anything weak as well.

·
Registered
Civic VX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would start with water, soapy water. The detergents will lift away debris. Warm water would work.

Start there, see how it works.

You could pour something like Acetone in there to dissolve anything weak as well.
Sounds like a good first thing to try.

Car wash.
Soap and some mild pressure.
I had thought about this but I don't like the idea of it blasting the internal fins all to hell and possibly disturbing flow.

Run it over with a dump truck, send it to scrap. You will NEVER get it fully cleaned....
Nope. I'll try what I can to get it clean. Had less than 300 miles on it. So theres not any goo for stuff to stick to. I have a good feeling it will all clean out with some effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts